• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

04-106 Mars Emerald SGH exclusive discussion

SiRacer420

BWPMF
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
NOLA
So after much searching I came across this Emerald Mars complete in box. For those that do not know, this color way was an exclusive for Sunglass Hut in the 90s. Many Emeralds were exclusive to SGH in those days. SGH was and is the absolute WORST at keeping the correct boxes with glasses making a complete Emerald Mars quite rare (at least by comparison to other color ways).

Much like other members here, I really wanted a set with matching serials. This is where the complications began. As many are aware, Mars had the serial hand written on the box like the second generation Romeo box (think NOT Jordan). I soon discovered that not all Mars were created equal.

During my search for a Ruby Mars, I found that it was almost impossible to find a complete set. When I did find one, the box was totally different. It did not have the picture of the red planet on the outer sleeve. It was just like the one from a Romeo or a Juliet. I also found that there was no color picture on the end of the box. There was just a barcode like the Carbon/24K Juliet or the Plasma/Emerald Juliet. The barcode was a little smaller too. The first Emerald Mars I saw in a box was the same way. I finally found a Ruby Mars for a good price and picked it up. Many months later, I acquired a Ruby Mars box. I know what pair came from the box because I originally bought it and returned it because the serials did not match. Another O Forum member ended up buying that pair and had no use for the box so I bought it from him. The serial on my Ruby frame is M000534 and on the box it is P000634. Pretty damn close. After more searching and discussions with other members, I decided that there were no Ruby Mars with serial matching boxes, all the serials on the boxes started with a P so i figured it was the "box serial" (think GSR2). Just last week I was proven wrong. There was one on ebay for around $900. The label was the same barcode but the serial on the box started with an M and matched the frame.

As for the Emerald, I have only ever seen 3 complete sets and none of them have matching serials. So again I feel like they don't exist. I an open to being proven wrong and in fact hope to be. I am asking any members that have knowledge of the Emerald Mars, or Ruby for that matter, to give some input. Hopefully some others have one complete so we can compare. @dragonvoi is the only one I'm sure has a full set and his serial is 4 away from mine so I'm also curious if anyone has another in the 170 range. Also, Metal Hoarder, if your box has serial 000177 on it, WE NEED TO WORK SOMETHING OUT! I know that's wishful thinking but hey, I'm hopeful. @Romeo Van Frogskinstein I'm sure has done research on this and can hopefully shed some light on the topic. Any one else that knows, please speak up!

IMG_1716.JPG
IMG_1724.JPG

Yes, there are matching sets of the Emerald Mars, they are no different than other X-metals. Most were sold through SGH and as you said, SGH really didn't match the box with each X-metal sunglass when they sold their pairs. When orders opened up to the OPDs, unless the dealer only bought one pair, they likely weren't sold with matching boxes either since no one figured the matching scheme back then. Most of the ones I have seen with matching boxes were bought from Oakley telesales directly.

So all this to say that matching pairs are out there. However it wasn't a high volume colorway outside of SGH so it will take some patience to find a matching pair.

So what you're saying is I'm still on the hunt? Lol

That's a lot of good info. Do you know anything about the "P000XXX" on the box? The one matching Ruby I saw had M000XXX for the serial on the box. And one Ruby I know came directly from a call in order to oakley had a mismatched box in 2000. Also with a P000XXX serial on the box.

Yes, there are matching sets of the Emerald Mars, they are no different than other X-metals. Most were sold through SGH and as you said, SGH really didn't match the box with each X-metal sunglass when they sold their pairs. When orders opened up to the OPDs, unless the dealer only bought one pair, they likely weren't sold with matching boxes either since no one figured the matching scheme back then. Most of the ones I have seen with matching boxes were bought from Oakley telesales directly.

So all this to say that matching pairs are out there. However it wasn't a high volume colorway outside of SGH so it will take some patience to find a matching pair.
That indeed is true. As much as I hate to believe it, in my case it indeed is who I know and not what I know really matters. This is in reference to the "all matching" sets I acquired around 2003. The lowest serial I have ever acquired "with everything matching" is 000123.
May have to make it to the storage to dig into the other serials.

That's a lot of good info. Do you know anything about the "P000XXX" on the box? The one matching Ruby I saw had M000XXX for the serial on the box. And one Ruby I know came directly from a call in order to oakley had a mismatched box in 2000. Also with a P000XXX serial on the box.

No unfortunately I don't know specifically what the letter codes denote on a box. There are a number of letters such as M, P, X, A. It is used to track a variety of internal things I suspect. Sometimes they use a different letter code when a higher production pair goes over 100,000 and they reset the numbering on the box. The numerical portion should match the number on the glasses but I'm not sure what the letters represent.

No unfortunately I don't know specifically what the letter codes denote on a box. There are a number of letters such as M, P, X, A. It is used to track a variety of internal things I suspect. Sometimes they use a different letter code when a higher production pair goes over 100,000 and they reset the numbering on the box. The numerical portion should match the number on the glasses but I'm not sure what the letters represent.
I did hear many years ago that the letter had something to do with the location where they were sold but how accurate this is I do not know. Thought I'd mention it anyway.

Last edited:
Well I guess it's like most things Oakley, more answers lead to more questions. I appreciate all the info though. Always good to have background when on the hunt.