• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

04-106 Mars Emerald SGH exclusive discussion

Forget about lenses and boxes for a moment, think only of the serial frames for each of the five Mars, and we have the following:-

04-103 X Metal - Black. M######
04-104 X Metal Leather - Gold. M*###### (note the * after the M, unique to this frame)
04-105 X Metal Crater - Black. C######
04-106 X Metal - Emerald. M######
04-107 X Metal - Ruby. M######

Now lets add the lenses. The official lenses were Gold, Black, Ruby, Emerald, and Ice. Ice was a genuine Oakley product with sku 90-453 which you could purchase direct from the company and install in a Mars frame to create a custom piece. Emerald also was available is the US as a 'spare' lens which could be used in the same manor as Ice. In effect then, you could have a 04-103 or a 04-107, take out the Black or Ruby lenses, and install an Emerald 'custom' lens, but if you did this, you DO NOT have an 04-106 SGH, however, such a pair would look EXACT to the SGH, not the slightest difference, all black rubbers, X Metal frame, M serial. So, how can you have a proven, 'stake your life on it SGH Emerald?'..We now need to talk boxes, because that is the ONLY way to prove a genuine 04-106. Take the one shown in this thread, great box showing 04-106, but the serial on the arm is M000173...it doesn't match the P00282 label serial, so there is no way to say the M000173 was not originally a 04-103 or a 04-107 frame, with an Emerald lens installed...it's 'probably' the real deal as you have the labelled box, but for any one of many reasons this pair may not be the 'Real McCoy', it's the M serial on three frames which causes the lack of certainty. So, the label tells us there is a 04-106, X Metal - Emerald, so the question is, do any of that sku have a matching serial? The answer is YES! I HAD IT.. I acquired a REAL 04-106 in November 04, from a top employee at corporate HQ, MINT BOX, inner and outer..no planet strip, text label, SERIAL M008006, the label matching the arm. It is the ONLY pair I have ever known to be ABSOLUTELY 100% SGH 04-106, AND it was all 100% MINT!! Some years later I had a burglary and lost 15 X Metals as a result, almost all of them I have since replaced mostly with improvements regarding condition and serial matching boxes...however the 04-106 sadly was among those stolen, and I have never seen another, and yet I have searched and offered a four figure price and yielded nothing from my efforts. As an aside, I also lost a REAL Black Chrome Romeo 1 in that theft, a beautiful piece that I have never heard another example of. The 04-107 appear to be often not serial matching, indeed my own pair was purchased new and it could not have had a box swap yet the arm/label serial don't match and this pair also has the P on the label. It will of course be a bonus if you have one matching, but it seems the vast majority don't..and some do, and some do not have the planet on the box. I'd suggest if you have a mint non matching 04-107 that's fine, but the 04-106 is a different animal, light years more rare anyway, and in my view the rarest of the official 70 X Metal releases.

I do have to agree that the serial matching is the only "sure thing" 04-106, and sadly the provenance that comes woth the pair diminishes over time, for which i am thankful for this thread, i personally have no doubts in my source having purchased his pair with the box as I have had a bulk of transactions with him that have indicators that when he purchased his items they were legit but he didnt pay attention to the s/ns.

This puts ne in the same boat as @SiRacer420 where i am happy and confident in the legitimacy of my set. Ut would be happier to find a sn matching set.

Also, the consensus so far is interesting, being an SGH Exclusive, none of the pairs from SGH have matched boxes and most nonboxes at all, but the pairs NOT coming from SGH have matched boxes.

The Mars lineup has always been a bit of a curveball with the serials being written and printed on the box and the sn on the pairs dont indicate anything to do with the colorways or finishes since they all came in xmetal.

Matching ruby :)

IMG_3759.JPG

Is it just me or is there something odd about the matching Ruby Mars? Maybe I'm just paranoid but the font size, the use of the word "lens" in the description line, the mis-alignment of the serial on the box all throw up alarm bells for me.

Is it just me or is there something odd about the matching Ruby Mars? Maybe I'm just paranoid but the font size, the use of the word "lens" in the description line, the mis-alignment of the serial on the box all throw up alarm bells for me.

I've got a pair of Ruby Mars with box. I can't chekc it rigtht now ( not that I know whether the serials match (with those Ruby beauties I was more than happy to put up with minor things like this) however I do believe they will match, Tuesday I'll look).

I didn't notice at first but the serial being off center and up into the barcode does seem strange. I've seen all kinds of font sizes so I can't help there. This is the one that was on eBay I was talking about. It's also the ONLY matching Ruby I've ever seen so I can't compare it to anything.

I'm definitely NOT hating on this one but I do know a guy that makes labels.

I've got a pair of Ruby Mars with box. I can't chekc it rigtht now ( not that I know whether the serials match (with those Ruby beauties I was more than happy to put up with minor things like this) however I do believe they will match, Tuesday I'll look).
If yours does, it'll be the second I've seen, I'm betting you have the same box as I do. P serial and non matching numbers. But I do hope it matches!

I didn't notice at first but the serial being off center and up into the barcode does seem strange. I've seen all kinds of font sizes so I can't help there. This is the one that was on eBay I was talking about. It's also the ONLY matching Ruby I've ever seen so I can't compare it to anything.

I'm definitely NOT hating on this one but I do know a guy that makes labels.

Well, I bought them 7 years ago from someone in the us who also sold me my jbr juliet, emerald slate ichiro and tio2 juliet, all in matching box and premium quality. All I can say is that they have not been touched since then but I understand the questions because the label does look different from the ones pictured here. It might also be because they are from a much later run...
I never thought about it, but It's indeed probably not so hard to make a fake label, but how could I check...? Any other pictures that would help?
The only "argument" I could have is the relatively low price I bought them at that time that doesn't seem worth the effort of forging a label. :D

I'll probably have some time to Check this out as the ebay buyer has a nice "0" profile and asks me to ship to an unverified PayPal address...By the way, it's my first time putting up auctions on ebay as I got those for free and it's crazy how it's crawling with 0 profile asking to ship to Brazil! (I had to cancel auctions on my ruby penny and 24k xx )