• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

1st GEN Frogskins Repair and/or Recycle

VolleyballDude

Oakley Beginner
Would appreciate it if I could ask for your assistance with some rare Frogskins I have had 'kicking around in a box' for well over a decade now that are in need of some help. I played Pro Beach Volleyball in Canada (yes we have beaches when the snow goes away) in the late 80's and into the early 90's and was fortunate to get a sponsorship from Oakley. I still have my original Factory Pilots from '86 and have a few pairs of Razor Blades somewhere in a storage box - along with a box of spare arms (standard & trigger) . . . but I digress.

Here are my 1st Generation Frogskins:

Oakley Frogskins Clear with Fire Iridium

I believe the Clear Frames are beyond repair (unfortunately as I loved these), since the hinge area on the right side is missing. Both ear stems and their hinges are intact, and the lenses are in good condition with minor surface scratches. These have the Oakley logo embossed & painted white on the exterior of both ear stems, and the inside of the right stem is impressed ‘Oakley Frogskins TM’ with ‘Japan’ impressed on the ear pad.

I’m interested in what the ‘recycle’ value of these lenses and stems might be. Please let me know your thoughts.

Oakley Frogskins Rootbeer with Bronze Iridium

This sought after combination can be repaired but I need to find the proper way of going about doing that. I previously attempted to use some type of super glue a couple years ago, which didn’t hold. The remnants of glue can be seen. The break is in the upper corner of the left lens, but does not interfere with the hinge. I can place the lens back into the frame and can manually hold the frame together, which means I should be able to repair if I can find the proper glue. What material are these frames made of? Should I make the repair without the lens in and then attempt to ‘pop’ it back into place?

The Bronze Iridium lenses show more wear than the Fire Iridiums, so wonder if I should just switch them out? Any suggestions on gently removing the surface scratches without further damage?

Appreciate everyone's comments!

IMG_1917.JPG

IMG_1911.JPG

IMG_1910.JPG

IMG_1909.JPG

IMG_1908.JPG

IMG_1916.JPG

IMG_1915.JPG

IMG_1914.JPG

IMG_1913.JPG

IMG_1912.JPG

Last edited:
I'm sending both pairs off to a company in Canada that can do the repair. I'm going to get the Rootbeer pair fixed . . . but I'm replacing the Bronze lenses with the Fire Iridium set. It's going to cost me $55 CDN, but worth the investment in my opinion. I will take photos when they return.

Although it's a shame to see them in such a state, the fact they have history & a story behind em is pretty cool, look forward to seeing how they come out like after the repair :)

Although it's a shame to see them in such a state, the fact they have history & a story behind em is pretty cool, look forward to seeing how they come out like after the repair :)
Occupational hazard playing beach volleyball while wearing them and your opponent spikes the ball low into the net when you are blocking (directly into your face) . . .