• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Buying 1st Gen Juliet Ruby Lenses

• Thread starter Username Hidden
  • Start date
Username Hidden said:
Many of us here are veterans as well. As we deeply appreciate what you do for us on a daily basis, please appreciate also that we did the same for you- when you were in diapers.
Respectfully submitted...
Thank you, as I appreciate what y'all have done as well. Now, for everyone :focus: please.

Some people reacted to this post.
Username Hidden said:
A J serial number I would not consider a Gen 1. Gen 1 frames begin with an X. It was also my understanding that the initial run of true Gen 1 lenses were X005000 and below. After that, they changed their ruby manufacturing process.

the gen 1 lenses or redness of the lenses had little to do with serial number. it had more to do with the batches. there are some modern ruby lenses that came from batches today that are more red than even when ruby iridium was first released. more uncommon than back in the day but they do show up. there should be plenty of discussion on this topic on the o review.

TOWSNBN if I am not mistaken the original run of ruby actually had purple./red color, the current productions are red/ orangey yellow color. I agree that you can find some that are close to the original run as far as the red color, but do to the secondary color being different they would never compare. InfiniteHero provided the pic on the first page that describes exactly what I am talking about. The red/ purple batches were much more difficult to produce for Oakley, which is why they quickly changed to the modern color way.

no the original lenses in the first 5000 mostly were red but became yellow toward the temples. some had more yellow and orange than others but looked pretty much similar and not many had any purple in them. many fans were expecting exactly what was in the x-men movie and were disappointed because of it. i was one of the collectors that was disappointed back in 2000. it was well later on in later batches that there were batches that had deep purple in them. the more modern change in manufacturing of the lenses really took effect in 2005 where most of the lenses coming out of the batches became more orange than red.
i encourage you to look around some threads on the o review or just outright ask in a new thread. many we're around back then and can verify.

I guess its an easy mistake, I almost purchased the first run juliet with ruby lenses but bought my first pair of romeo 1's instead, my memory could be off considering it was 13 years ago or so. I was pretty disapointed myself which is why I got the romeos at the time.

Understand what TOWSNBN is saying, but here are the pics I promised taken in the daylight compared to reg Ruby:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, the left ones are noticeably darker.

The first gen lenses look like the OO Red Iridium. They're just a little lighter than the +Red Iridium.

I will match up the 1st Gen Rubies with a set of Pos Red tomorrow and show those and the Reg Ruby. Just to give some examples. Another member mentioned these rare Ruby's may really be like 2nd gen or something like that. First 5000 lenses may have been different. Either way, a Unicorn is still a Unicorn.
oo Polarized Red Iridim lenses for example:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have some awesome 1st gen rubies but they're shot :(