• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

1st Gen Plasma / Titanium restoration

The first gen plasma/titanium coatings are unique but unfortunately are prone to tarnish/yellowing, black stain corrosion, and eventually getting rubbed off into a polished/sheen patches. My previous approach of restoring these frames had addressed the yellowing and about 90% removal of black stains but had limitations with addressing rubbed off polished/sheen effects. So after spending a great deal of time R&D on addressing this issue, the new approach delivers much better results of restoration by addressing all 3 problems. Here's some Ti finish frame half done to clearly show the before/after.

View attachment 181667

View attachment 181668

View attachment 181669

View attachment 181670

I've got to get your email and/or mailing address so I may send you my grubby looking R1's.
I have not received them yet but the photos of them clearly show the black tarishing problem around the nose bomb areas. I was thinking of using muriatic acid/water mix or maybe even Mother's Aluminum polish but I don't want to destroy the original finish.
I also saw the person anodizing barious X-Metal pieces & that may be another option but I prefer to keep them as stock as possible.

Thanks

Ahhh the good o memories. This method of restoration has pretty much been replaced with the new "reinvented G1 plasma/titanium finish" method where the troublesome coating is removed and the frame refinished so that it'd never flake, peel, nor encounter black corrosion ever again. Here's pics of an R1 recently done using the new method

PhotoGrid_1485104262262.jpg
PhotoGrid_1485104159398.jpg
PhotoGrid_1485103848476.jpg

I've got to get your email and/or mailing address so I may send you my grubby looking R1's.
I have not received them yet but the photos of them clearly show the black tarishing problem around the nose bomb areas. I was thinking of using muriatic acid/water mix or maybe even Mother's Aluminum polish but I don't want to destroy the original finish.
I also saw the person anodizing barious X-Metal pieces & that may be another option but I prefer to keep them as stock as possible.

Thanks

I'll pm you

Ahhh the good o memories. This method of restoration has pretty much been replaced with the new "reinvented G1 plasma/titanium finish" method where the troublesome coating is removed and the frame refinished so that it'd never flake, peel, nor encounter black corrosion ever again. Here's pics of an R1 recently done using the new method

View attachment 324676 View attachment 324677 View attachment 324678

I'll pm you
WOW! Those look absolutely beautiful!
You'll be getting mine without a doubt.
Glad I didn't go for a paint job.

Much Appreciated & Impressed,
Jamie

View attachment 324676 View attachment 324677 View attachment 324678

I'll pm you

Wow bro the serial has been preserved as well without that tape thingy...how did you do that bro??? Thats awesome.

Still got my old romeo with titanium finish matched, but frame seen better days this make over will be perfect.

Back