• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

2nd Gen Frogskin Repair?

Gazz

Oakley Beginner
Hello there,

I've been lurking for a little while and decided it was time to call on you guys for advice!

You seem to have a great community here... I was reading about X-Man repairing Ben's Pennys last night.. great stuff!!

Anyway, to the matter at hand... I bought my first pair of Oakley glasses in my final year of high school (1996) after saving up my paper round money... I loved them, was the only kid in school with a pair and they have served me well over the years.. I packed them away and double boxed them for safe keeping when i changed glasses and took them out recently to start wearing again.. managed a few weeks with them and then BOOM.. a broken hinge.

Having kept them intact for this long, I'm sure you can imagine how devastated I am...

The million dollar question.. is there a person / service / company (I'm in the UK but would be happy to ship them to USA if required) that may be able to resurrect my beloved Frogskins?

I've tried to show the damage as best I can in the attached images.

Please help!!!

/Gazz

IMG_0371.JPG IMG_0372.JPG IMG_0373.JPG IMG_0381.JPG IMG_0383.JPG IMG_0389.JPG IMG_0394.JPG IMG_0398.JPG IMG_0404.JPG

Hello there,

I've been lurking for a little while and decided it was time to call on you guys for advice!

You seem to have a great community here... I was reading about X-Man repairing Ben's Pennys last night.. great stuff!!

Anyway, to the matter at hand... I bought my first pair of Oakley glasses in my final year of high school (1996) after saving up my paper round money... I loved them, was the only kid in school with a pair and they have served me well over the years.. I packed them away and double boxed them for safe keeping when i changed glasses and took them out recently to start wearing again.. managed a few weeks with them and then BOOM.. a broken hinge.

Having kept them intact for this long, I'm sure you can imagine how devastated I am...

The million dollar question.. is there a person / service / company (I'm in the UK but would be happy to ship them to USA if required) that may be able to resurrect my beloved Frogskins?

I've tried to show the damage as best I can in the attached images.

Please help!!!

/Gazz

View attachment 241106 View attachment 241107 View attachment 241108 View attachment 241109 View attachment 241110 View attachment 241111 View attachment 241112 View attachment 241113 View attachment 241114
Those are a sick pair and I can't believe you have that box in such great shape as well. I literally just bought a pair of crystal red Gen 2 frogs about 2 weeks ago or so from eBay. Still waiting on them to get here however. As they are coming from Australia to Canada. The unfortunate part of Gen 2 is they are typically brittle. I've actually broken a pair of orbitals in a clear pair once before. If you still have the peice you could try gluing them. It's a strange place for them to brake. I'll keep my eyes open for anyone who may do repairs. I'm not sure if @dr.chop would be able to. I know he repairs a lot of broken stuff.

It's worth a shot at asking him. If you have Facebook or instagram it would be easier. Check out his Facebook page. Dr.chopshop. I have had nothing but great things to say about him. If anyone can fix them properly I would think Josh for sure.

Good luck and keep us posted

my crystal/violets have done the exact same thing mate.

G3 absolutely do fit on G2, i put a G3 set of legs on my broken crystals, no problem.

And @SoulfulFROG , i was the one bidding against you on those crystal reds, good win. The guy selling them actually lived around the corner from my house, i nearly convinced him to take down the auction! hahaha

my crystal/violets have done the exact same thing mate.

G3 absolutely do fit on G2, i put a G3 set of legs on my broken crystals, no problem.

And @SoulfulFROG , i was the one bidding against you on those crystal reds, good win. The guy selling them actually lived around the corner from my house, i nearly convinced him to take down the auction! hahaha
Lol. They fit do they? Yeah a weird fit indeed. He'd also have to buy a supreme crystal red. A touch expensive and rare for a Gen 2 orbital. I appreciate you making me pay more for those. How dare you! Lol. We should post a dibs thread for every ebay pair that pops up.

Thanks for the quick responses guys... thanks for the help @SoulfulFROG and thanks for the welcome @OakleyFrankFMJ :D

I had a scan on eBay and found these - eBay item number: 152060314627 (not 100% on the authenticity because that code is supposed to be Acid Pink) because the idea of swapping the legs for G3 sounded like a fairly simple solution... until i discovered the next problem.

Having never taken the legs off, I wasn't sure what to expect on the frame.. wasn't sure if there was a nub on the frame and one on the leg... but it turns out both nubs are on the frame, and I'm missing one on the frame, so even with new legs.. one side won't stay on. These may have to be consigned to the Oakley graveyard (unless @dr.chop has any suggestions when I contact him)

Because this is looking like a no win situation, I've had to console myself by ordering a pair of Alpine Bluebird Frogs :D

IMG_0409.JPG IMG_0410.JPG

1461117142957-828240405.jpg

That looks fantastic. Lol. Notice how great the Gen 3 arms line up :confused:. I just tried this on 3 different Gen 2 pairs with similar results. I'm not sure how picky you might be but I suppose they click in yes. As for looks just try to find another Gen 2 crystal red my friend you won't be satisfied until you do.

1461117102505-375937060.jpg

Back