• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

3D Printed Stuff

I have a friend in the scale model drag racing scene, and the need for custom parts on the cheap is very real. @qtrain23 sells printers that he can make some wild stuff with.

@Dylanismyname try your hand at the 3D skulls. You'd need to do some pretty crazy lofting to the original shape, but the results are pretty sweet. Oakley made these for a time. I think one similar but not so deep and keeping the eye sockets open would be cool, maybe 1/4" thick is all.

imageuploadedbytapatalk1425358234-414973-jpg.134981.jpg

The only problem being UK import tax and the low £ to $ now......:(

Conversion, Postage, availability and import was what drove prices up on printers i was looking at originally, shipping is so pricey to aus, it made it extremely difficult to justify the branded printers . Ended up buying a clone version. Never looked back, did upgrades as i learnt. Ended up paying *alot* less than i expected to originally.
The tradeoff being, completely non-existent product support and virtually no warranty.

Conversion, Postage, availability and import was what drove prices up on printers i was looking at originally, shipping is so pricey to aus, it made it extremely difficult to justify the branded printers . Ended up buying a clone version. Never looked back, did upgrades as i learnt. Ended up paying *alot* less than i expected to originally.
The tradeoff being, completely non-existent product support and virtually no warranty.

So taking a risk is the name of the game.......

Small progress report:
Got what should be the last of the printing done on the vault case, unless i decide to go with a different icon, got it mostly mocked up, the hinge works really well. I think its coming along well
20161004_194050.jpg

20161004_194132.jpg

I am currently printing off another x metal stand, this one with a small twist i think you guys might appreciate :)

I have a friend in the scale model drag racing scene, and the need for custom parts on the cheap is very real. @qtrain23 sells printers that he can make some wild stuff with.

@Dylanismyname try your hand at the 3D skulls. You'd need to do some pretty crazy lofting to the original shape, but the results are pretty sweet. Oakley made these for a time. I think one similar but not so deep and keeping the eye sockets open would be cool, maybe 1/4" thick is all.

imageuploadedbytapatalk1425358234-414973-jpg.134981.jpg

Those are my skulls...... none of which are "printed"......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, it was posted elsewhere in the forum, I found it and posted it as an example of what I was talking about. I don't think it could be pulled off easily with a printer using the image as a base, a lot more work would have to go into creating the surface profile.

I have one. Or at least had two, I know I gave at least one away may have sold the other. When I get my 3D printer if someone has made a nice 3D skull model I'd love to get my hands on the file and make a few pieces for myself.

I apologize for not posting credit for the photo, I didn't actually find the thread, just a google image search of the forum.

The components themselves are generally not that expensive or difficult to source/replace. If a servo goes out or an extruder you can generally get up and running without too much issue.

If the control box takes a sh*t, though, all bets are off.

Thank you for the encouraging info @Rustpot.........

Small progress report:
Got what should be the last of the printing done on the vault case, unless i decide to go with a different icon, got it mostly mocked up, the hinge works really well. I think its coming along well
View attachment 284023
View attachment 284024
I am currently printing off another x metal stand, this one with a small twist i think you guys might appreciate :)

Looks great, work in progress.

Back