• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

3D Printed Stuff

Agreed.

So what resolution printer are you using: is their a standard by which you wouldn't go any lower?
From memory, everything ive posted so far has been at 0.25mm, simply because i sand and paint most things. So resolution isnt super critical for this kind of stuff. For small, fiddly pieces and non display things i print at 0.15mm if i want it to look great as raw print.
In my opinion 0.25mm is ideal, its fast, it looks good and it does bridging and unsupported angles decent. Higher or lower and you start to compromise different aspects, for me at least.

Also, cheers for the compliments so far guys. Ive got some decent ideas in my head for once my holiday break starts. Feel free to make suggestions as well if you want :)

From memory, everything ive posted so far has been at 0.25mm, simply because i sand and paint most things. So resolution isnt super critical for this kind of stuff. For small, fiddly pieces and non display things i print at 0.15mm if i want it to look great as raw print.
In my opinion 0.25mm is ideal, its fast, it looks good and it does bridging and unsupported angles decent. Higher or lower and you start to compromise different aspects, for me at least.

Also, cheers for the compliments so far guys. Ive got some decent ideas in my head for once my holiday break starts. Feel free to make suggestions as well if you want :)

Thank you for the info, much appreciated. Every so ofen I have an idea that appears from the either, so if I have one of those moments, I'll get in touch.

Has anyone successfully 3D scanned and 3D printed replacement frames and stems for the "New Frogskins"? The original was made using the extremely poor quality material that would crack. The New Frogskin is probably my favorite looking frame and I really want replacement frames for the lenses.

Does Oakley custom 3D print replacement frames for older models using modern materials that don't crack?

Has anyone successfully 3D scanned and 3D printed replacement frames and stems for the "New Frogskins"? The original was made using the extremely poor quality material that would crack. The New Frogskin is probably my favorite looking frame and I really want replacement frames for the lenses.

Does Oakley custom 3D print replacement frames for older models using modern materials that don't crack?
I have about a dozen pairs. I agree, it's a real shame they're so prone to cracking.

@qtrain23 has been known to do some printing.

Imagine some titanium 3d printed frogskins, that would be awesome, the frogskins are a fairly simple frame shape from memory, i cant imagine them being impossible to do on an everyday FDM printer at any rate

Imagine some titanium 3d printed frogskins, that would be awesome, the frogskins are a fairly simple frame shape from memory, i cant imagine them being impossible to do on an everyday FDM printer at any rate

"New" Frogskins are closer to Jackets

359ff6136d67210924defbcb1a38c3f1.jpg

Back