• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

3D Twitch - Review And Comparison Pics Inside

Batwolf

Double Team
Premium Member
Portland, OR
So a few days ago I stumbled upon these Rocketfish 3D glasses made by Oakley.

Rocketfish Passive 3D Glasses by Oakley RF-G1189 - Best Buy

Oakley Rocketfish

I was curious and decided to place an order. I have never gone through 6PM.com but I've heard both good and bad things about them. I ordered the glasses and received tracking the next day, took 3 days to arrive from the day I placed my order. Definitely an awesome turn around time on free shipping, and I saved $20 compared to the Best Buy in store pricing. I paid $45 shipped for these and now they are $39.00 shipped so not a bad deal.

The main reason I ordered these was to see if they were in fact made by Oakley and if they were, how they compared to the original Twitch. And of course to see how these differed from the 3D Gascan's, if at all. Here's pictures of the packaging.

So it's packaged under Rocketfish, the company Oakley made these for. Rocketfish is one of Best Buy's in store brands. On the box it states on each side that the glasses are "equipped with Oakley 3D optics." I was now curious to see if there was any indication of Oakley anywhere inside, so I opened it up.

So here we are. The first thing I noticed was a microbag that is definitely made by Oakley, but it has the Rocketfish label on one side and "equipped with Oakley 3D optics" on the other side. I could tell by the white drawstring that this is definitely an Oakley bag. The glasses were definitely packaged like Oakley, with one plastic sleeve covering the inside stem (as they do with almost all frames). The frame is identical to a standard Twitch, with one exception. There are no icons on this frame so instead you get a blank area where the icon would be, and Rocketfish's logo printed on each side. On the end of the stems you do see the familiar icon logo embedded into the stems, as Oakley does with quite a few of their pairs. On the inside we find the Rocketfish logo written out and on the other stem there is an "equipped with Oakley 3D optics" printed. What I noticed that differs from the 3D Gascans is that there was no etching on the lenses. I figured this is because these glasses technically aren't Oakley's, but rather Rocketfish's made by Oakley. Here are some comparison shots with a regular Twitch frame.

The frames appeared to be identical from the sizing, wrap and fit. I held them both on top of one another and the curve (wrap) was the exact same on both. There has been debate on whether the Gascan's wraps were different but I believe those to be the same as well. After inspection, there is nothing different between Rocketfish's 3D Twitch frame and a standard Oakley Twitch frame. Now to the interesting part, whether or not the lenses can be removed and if so, will they work in another Twitch?

So the lenses can be removed and it turns out that they are not the same as the HD 3DO lenses you find in the Gascan. They are definitely thinner and more flexible. This worried me as it seemed that they would be too thin to fit into a standard frame and I was wondering if the install gap clearances were different on the frames. Upon installation into a standard Twitch frame I noticed that they are VERY flexible. Because of this, you have to take advantage of it when installing them. I wondered if this was normal and attempted to put them back into the Rocketfish frame and the same thing was happening, the lenses were bending very easily when trying to install into the ridge of the frame. So I grabbed a microbag with one hand, and held the lens into the outside corner of the frame while gently bending the lens into the groove with the other. After I figured out how to install the lenses it was a piece of cake and definitely fit. I am not indicating that they are inter-changeable though and that is because of how thin they are. I wouldn't want to try to attempt that multiple times as I have no idea of the abuse they would take before creating a permanently bent lens. If you plan on getting these to swap the lenses into another frame, like I did, then it's definitely worth doing. And on top of that, the standard Twitch sunglass lenses fit into the Rocketfish frame perfectly.

As far as the 3D experience itself goes, I have not personally gone to the movies to test these however I do plan on going soon. When I get around to that I will update the thread. My guess is that these will not perform as well as the 3D Gascan but for the price, it's honestly hard to beat. And if you were ever curious about 3D HDO these are a perfect way to get a sample without paying $100+.

Overall I was impressed with what I received for $45. You get a real Oakley frame (though not labeled as you) and the lenses can be installed into a real frame. So for $45 I basically got myself some 3D lenses in a frame that I prefer 10x over the Gascan. I also feel these could be collectible if you keep them packaged up (at at $40 each, might as well buy 2-3). I hope you found this quick write up useful. These glasses are definitely swap worthy or worth stocking up on that way you can have 3D glasses around for friends and family.

Last edited by a moderator:
cool thanks for confirming that batters... now if someone can confirm the wrap/lens shape in the 3d gascans aainst the regular gascans... tht would be great. i swear thats what i heard (that it was different) but who knows. maybe its the same curve as an asian fit gascan (because i know those are flatter wrap)?

Just glue some Icons onto the earstems and you have a ghetto-fabulous Twitch! You know someone out there is thinking about doing it...and posting them on eBay.

Back