• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

5 Years on the forum and unpacking after a move: Random thoughts on collecting and lessons learned

Rustpot

M Frame Lover
Clarkston/Romeo MI
First off, this isn't a farewell or a downer in any way. This is a celebration. I'd like to hear your stories as well!

I was working on unpacking boxes from the garage that haven't been moved in yet after a month in the new house. I cracked open the seal on my Oakley box. It was unmarked, I hadn't taken any time in preparation and everything ended up in the garage. Which also allowed me to procrastinate since it wasn't in the way.

Anyway, the contents of the box were pretty varied. The box is actually quite old, it got started maybe 2 years ago when the storage in my case filled up and I had nowhere to go. I had just topped it off and put it in the truck. Looking through everything now is a fun personal journey through the last 10+ years of passion I've had for this brand.

5 years ago I had come on Oakley Forum to try and sell a pair of sunglasses. They were a desert SI pair I had gotten and finally realized that I can't wear small glasses (this is after years of having a XX Omatter as my 1 pair) and came to the forum in hopes of getting my money or something cool in trade.

After that it was off to the races.

I honestly don't know how many pairs I have bought in the last 5 years. That was the only way to get my hands on some classic pairs I've loved for years. A lot of huge letdowns in the beginning when I found out I'd pretty much never look good wearing some truly awesome pairs. Sub Zero, XX, Juliet, Mars, Straight Jacket, Racing Jackets, Splice, Scar, the list goes on.

I've burned out twice. Almost lost it and walked away. Looked at the pile, thought of the pile of cash it represented, and wished I'd never spent a dime on Oakleys. I did come back both times. Usually when I finally hear about a new pair that's pretty sweet.

I'm guilty of going too hard, too fast. I still see it happening; people join and the buying frenzy hits and the threads come up "Got 6 more this month!". Only to eventually lead to them burning out and dropping out completely. Now I just hold tight and wait for the eventual sales to hit, members to fade, and the cycle to repeat.

Had to re-evaluate priorities a few times. Spending too much, growing the collection too big, unfocused buying, too focused buying leading to a lot of pairs that were just for show, depopulating, evaluating cost/enjoyment ratios, more selling, and settling on boundaries for purchases.

If you asked me how my current collecting mood is, I'd call it "meandering". The back catalog feels stale, the idea of collecting a series, or a set of colorways, or completing a vintage set just makes my stomach churn. There's pairs I want, but I'm not feeling motivated to put in time searching and trying to be the first on a new eBay listing with a low BIN (are there even deals on eBay anymore?). All of my most recent pairs have been new releases. I find the styles becoming more universally accepted than they were 2-3 years ago. The Holbrook I see as the gateway into more old-guard acceptance of newer styles and trendy pairs, and hopefully pulling more people down the Rabbit Hole of Frogskins, where it seems long-term collecting is almost a requirement for entry.

I can see myself staying strong on this pace for a while. I want to eventually move into a doublewide and drop my mega and RX singles. I want this "office" in my new home to have as much riveted aluminum and aircraft/mechanical decor as possible to match the cases. I want to eventually snag a few more pairs. Another Sliver, Crosshair Ti, maybe a Tincan Carbon, Windjacket 2.0, blackout Pro M Frames, who knows.

Anyway, the box is unpacked, I still don't have enough room for all of this junk. Does anyone know of an Oakley-style chest of drawers, trunk, filing cabinet?

I had no idea that you have been here for 5 years, I thought you were here longer than that... Maybe your old curmudgeon demeanor threw me off lol.

Meandering... I know that I've been buying without a purpose for a while. That's how I got to forty pairs. Just buy what catches my eye at an affordable price point.

New Years Eve will mark my 5th anniversary on this forum and it has been a fun ride for me.

Like you, I've taken a shine to a Holbrook, I want Woodgrain with Prizm Daily... But I want to wait for a F&F. I had my eye on DWP, ended up with a lens. I guess it doesn't take much to please me nowadays.
Awesome post, @Rustpot!

Sent from Q's Note5

Woodgrain with Prizm Daily is the world's best pair of sunglasses for when the sun isn't out. My first purchase. I had to, though. I carve wooden sunglasses, so I HAD to buy them. I had to. They made me buy them.

Great story......i started with a mars and an ichiro then it multiplied. I found this forum during a search on how to repair xmetals was a lurker then started posting. What i learned from collecting????? Hmmmmmm it is expensive and a total waste of money lol. When the time comes to call it quits i would definitely sell my pieces thesame price i got them except the ones on my avatar.

I dont know if we all do it but some of us do... Hard and heavy in the beginning. I did, when I had money to burn. As many have noticed I have slowed way down. Im not on here much anymore but the passion is still there even with all the bad LUX news. Maybe I have slowed down because I have a decent size collection and now it takes more to impress me. Either way Im glad you didnt bail out on us. I always enjoy reading your insight when time allows, and lets face it, any M frame fan is a friend of mine. Take a look at a shelf tower. You could make some cool matching compartments to slid in the bays to hold the stuff you dont want to display. Better yet, build some small door for it and wala, storage and Oakley old school looks at the same time.

I was hard and fast at first;) I stepped back. I learned patience. The only saving grace I had in the beginning is I am cheap to begin with. I enjoy it now more then ever. A lot of you hate the way Lux is changing Oakley, but for me as A Xmetal head it's already had its swan song. What there is of Xmetal now is it. I like and am sad at the same time that there are no more xmetals coming out. There are 8 frames styles for me to collect, really only 5 as Mars,pennys and half X I look dumb in. I no longer keep X frames I can not wear as display items. I am much happier trading for stuff I do wear.

Great post @Rustpot - your paragraph "Too hard too fast" summed up my first 6 or 8 months here...I wanted 3 of every model!! Then patience hit me, I think after reading how many Holbrooks there are in MercBerzerks thread and doing the math...

So I decided to cool off and now I'm of the @dingo ate my baby philosophy...patience and diversity. I still knee-jerk and grab a pair off the exchange as soon as I see one I "Need", but I'm much more selective nowadays.

Absolutely enjoying every bit as much after more than 3 years here!

First off, this isn't a farewell or a downer in any way. This is a celebration. I'd like to hear your stories as well!

I was working on unpacking boxes from the garage that haven't been moved in yet after a month in the new house. I cracked open the seal on my Oakley box. It was unmarked, I hadn't taken any time in preparation and everything ended up in the garage. Which also allowed me to procrastinate since it wasn't in the way.

Anyway, the contents of the box were pretty varied. The box is actually quite old, it got started maybe 2 years ago when the storage in my case filled up and I had nowhere to go. I had just topped it off and put it in the truck. Looking through everything now is a fun personal journey through the last 10+ years of passion I've had for this brand.

5 years ago I had come on Oakley Forum to try and sell a pair of sunglasses. They were a desert SI pair I had gotten and finally realized that I can't wear small glasses (this is after years of having a XX Omatter as my 1 pair) and came to the forum in hopes of getting my money or something cool in trade.

After that it was off to the races.

I honestly don't know how many pairs I have bought in the last 5 years. That was the only way to get my hands on some classic pairs I've loved for years. A lot of huge letdowns in the beginning when I found out I'd pretty much never look good wearing some truly awesome pairs. Sub Zero, XX, Juliet, Mars, Straight Jacket, Racing Jackets, Splice, Scar, the list goes on.

I've burned out twice. Almost lost it and walked away. Looked at the pile, thought of the pile of cash it represented, and wished I'd never spent a dime on Oakleys. I did come back both times. Usually when I finally hear about a new pair that's pretty sweet.

I'm guilty of going too hard, too fast. I still see it happening; people join and the buying frenzy hits and the threads come up "Got 6 more this month!". Only to eventually lead to them burning out and dropping out completely. Now I just hold tight and wait for the eventual sales to hit, members to fade, and the cycle to repeat.

Had to re-evaluate priorities a few times. Spending too much, growing the collection too big, unfocused buying, too focused buying leading to a lot of pairs that were just for show, depopulating, evaluating cost/enjoyment ratios, more selling, and settling on boundaries for purchases.

If you asked me how my current collecting mood is, I'd call it "meandering". The back catalog feels stale, the idea of collecting a series, or a set of colorways, or completing a vintage set just makes my stomach churn. There's pairs I want, but I'm not feeling motivated to put in time searching and trying to be the first on a new eBay listing with a low BIN (are there even deals on eBay anymore?). All of my most recent pairs have been new releases. I find the styles becoming more universally accepted than they were 2-3 years ago. The Holbrook I see as the gateway into more old-guard acceptance of newer styles and trendy pairs, and hopefully pulling more people down the Rabbit Hole of Frogskins, where it seems long-term collecting is almost a requirement for entry.

I can see myself staying strong on this pace for a while. I want to eventually move into a doublewide and drop my mega and RX singles. I want this "office" in my new home to have as much riveted aluminum and aircraft/mechanical decor as possible to match the cases. I want to eventually snag a few more pairs. Another Sliver, Crosshair Ti, maybe a Tincan Carbon, Windjacket 2.0, blackout Pro M Frames, who knows.

Anyway, the box is unpacked, I still don't have enough room for all of this junk. Does anyone know of an Oakley-style chest of drawers, trunk, filing cabinet?

a lot of people can learn from this post.... for you rust, i have learned a thing or two... our addiction is a challenge, its a passion, a stress reliever but sadly its also a curse... sometimes we want what others have... often we buy things that we dont like for the sake that " i have what he has"... in the end its all about the journey... its all about the friendship and the understanding that, "like me there are others... i have a collection, it maybe not big or grand as the others have but i love it the way that i want it to be..."

Happy anniversary my bearded friend....

Latest Posts

Back