• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

5 Years on the forum and unpacking after a move: Random thoughts on collecting and lessons learned

@Rustpot didnt realize that your just a year senior than me in the forum but i am sure your into Oakley more than that compared to me. Reading the post just made me realize that I am a bit lucky since as all of me wanted to start hard and fast but when you don't have the budget makes it next to impossible and really sad. almost pathetic imho. Fell in love with Juliet since I laid eyes upon her but I know then I am out of league and walk away. But like a dream, it never goes away so tried to content myself on a pair of oil rig and failed miserably. In 2012 joined here after having the courage to get Juliet. Fast forward a few years, I will be the proud owner of one of each X Metal model after i pick up the mars a couple of days from now. Oh, happy I'm semi retired and only here mostly for knowledge and camaraderie.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I started truly collecting in 2007, with the emergence of gen 3 Frogs on the horizon and it's cursed addiction: got to collect them all..........NO CHANCE, not even close. But I've cured myself of that one.......kind of.
Like most of you here, I've slowed down......because I've got most of of what I wanted (including a large collection of +Red / Ruby), and bought them at a time when there were BARGAINS to be had.
Now, I think I've made my feelings known toward the new incarnation of 'Oakley' and it's products. Sad to say but it seems 'their' swan song had been sounded long ago, now...........

Like some others, I found this forum researching Oakley's. November will mark 3 years for me and it's been crazy. My wife has almost killed me dozens of times when new pairs show up at the house but as you guys know, it's so hard to say no. It's truly an addiction. Our collections will never be full... for me the desire is always there but life gets in the way and I've had to shelf my passion from time to time (pun intended). It started with glasses, then clothing, shoes, accessories... I mean why do I have 3 Oakley ski jackets... seems ridiculous to most people but not to anyone on this forum...that's what I love about you guys...

Great post @Rustpot

Nice write up, thanks for sharing!

I've been on the forum for a few months now, and I have somehow managed to remain calm. I have thus far purchased one pair of Woodgrain Frogskins and a pair of Deep Water PRIZM lenses for my Flak Jacket XLJ's.
I did purchase a pair of MadMan shades, but the hinges started acting weird within less than one hour of wear time, so I returned them.
This forum has re-activated my love of antique glasses, and I have picked up several pair for well under $20 each. One of them actually has a prescription that allows me to see better than my RX glasses.I really do love Oakleys, and I've worn them for years. I am looking for the perfect pair of Mars metal, and that will probably be it. I just can't figure out whete I got all of this will power!

I've been collecting for a few years and now my collection has grown over the 30 mark. I've worn Oakley since I was 12 starting with my older brother's purple splatter M frame. Now I have 4 splatters with 2 being the purple splatter colorway. Recently I've been able to put my collection in a display, before I kept them in there bags locked in my safe. I sit and look at were my collection has gone and I'm amazed at it. I went fast at first buying 5 1st Gen M Frame within 6 months then slowed down and then went back to buying like crazy. Since I've become a member of this great forum surrounded by the people that feel the same about Oakley as I do is just great. None of my friends own a pair and think I'm crazy for my Oakley passion. I say that's more for me hahaha. I now have all but 2 splatters to finish up my 1st Gen M frame collection then get a few newer ones like the madman. Really cool thread idea and cool seeing all these posts. Been a member for only few months and still finding new things, great forum and members for sure.

Latest Posts

Back