• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

60 Minutes... Luxottica?

Very good post, Batwolf! Well addressed and thought out!

Thats all well and good, but they are shipped to China to be put together in some sort of fashion. I know one thing 100% that people should know.. They screwed Fabcon out of his designs for the new mega-towers and those are 100% Chinese made. I talked to the CEO personally and he said that Oakley moved it to China, stole his designs and put him out of business due to outsourcing displays at a lower cost, this was 2007ish

All the display items are put together in china for test pieces and then they are assembled in the US from what I know of, I have actual pictures of this!

All the display items are put together in china for test pieces and then they are assembled in the US from what I know of, I have actual pictures of this!

"made' is a relative term to production as it would be more cost effective to build them for fit and dismantle them in order to ship.. Bottom line it that those display cases were defective in there light ballasts. The little stickers on them too states made in China as far as that goes. I have taken them apart and found where Chinese manufactures actually messed up in production and had to add a piece of silicon with calking to separate two electrodes that were to close together, an example of Chinese manufacturing. Or, it actually said Taiwan built transformer but designs were stolen from UL rated fixtures in America, manufactured in China, shipped to Taiwan to be put together.....the loopholes are amazing people as to what qualifies as made in the US, its a total joke and I think this is why we are all confused about what % is qualified to fit as USA made.

"made' is a relative term to production as it would be more cost effective to build them for fit and dismantle them in order to ship.. Bottom line it that those display cases were defective in there light ballasts. The little stickers on them too say made in China as far as that goes. I have taken them apart and found where Chinese manufactures actually messed up in production and had to add a piece of silicon with calking to separate two electrodes that were to close together, an example of Chinese manufacturing. Or, it actually said Taiwan built but parts were stollen from UL rated fixtures in America, manufactured in China, shipped to Taiwan to be put together.....the loopholes are amazing people as to what qualifies as made in the US, its a total joke...

Not to change the post up.... But can you post this info in the case discussion area if you have not already???? If it is their I will research it and make a sticky.... This is good info for case owners to look for ... Thanks!!!

Ya, sure... I mentioned it before but another thing was the a few cases actually electrocuted a handful of people when they first came out. There was an internal memo about it I believe. I am sure they fixed the problem by now....hmmm, I wonder.

Its funny because I took them apart and my hands had I had silicon calking all over them and a little wedge of like folded up paper was placed in between 2 parts on the fixture....Blew my mind and the ballast..lol

I have spoken with many long long time employees face to face there. I asked the same questions about frames being made overseas and I was assured 100% all OMatter is made here. It has to do with the military contracts and such, so they don't do some here some there. I didn't watch the piece but am trying to find it somewhere to watch. I know there is literally a TON of BS they feed, so regardless of source, I tend to not believe much of it because it is always different. Lux does have influence there plain and simple. If they didn't and Oakley was left alone to do their thing, explain them making all Arnette lenses, and the handling of the other brands? Just as I was told so
e BS about the X Metal plant closing due to the epa BANNING the production of Titanium in the states...I call BS on that because that would screw with the military stuff...So alot of what they say no matter who the source is, is done to build that confusion more. It's rare to get 2 matching stories.

There were several tours at the Co-Pilot event and none of the guides all ha their stuff dialed the same. It is part of the mystery of Oakley. As for Jim, it is well known that his biggest mistake was taking Oakley public. He has stated that many times. I think honestly the board pushed the deal more than he was bullied directly from Lux. Plus, as wolf stated, he ha been working on Red...Hell, it was halfway being done there at hq, and you can see the same passion and design in Red products as you once did in Oakley. When it went public is when he lost the control. It was only a matter of time. I also heard from the start (not concrete confirmed) that as a condition of the deal, Colin Baden was to be guaranteed a 5 year deal as CEO, and that time is about up now...Dec 2007...So let's just see what is in store.

Sure some designs were 5 years in the making, but I seriously doubt all of them are planned that far out cuz the trends change too fast. It's all relative. Bottom line, LUX is changing the company because they are pushing for maximum profit and minimal cost. O matter and especially acetate are vastly cheaper than X Metal, and yeah, you bet your @$$ they will bring one back in the elite line-up. Dummies will pay $1500+++++ for an "Elite Juliet"...Just like spending it on a damn pair of Frogskins...They got everyone by the balls with their "supply and demand" crap...Enjoy lol

I have spoken with many long long time employees face to face there. I asked the same questions about frames being made overseas and I was assured 100% all OMatter is made here. It has to do with the military contracts and such, so they don't do some here some there. I didn't watch the piece but am trying to find it somewhere to watch. I know there is literally a TON of BS they feed, so regardless of source, I tend to not believe much of it because it is always different. Lux does have influence there plain and simple. If they didn't and Oakley was left alone to do their thing, explain them making all Arnette lenses, and the handling of the other brands? Just as I was told so
e BS about the X Metal plant closing due to the epa BANNING the production of Titanium in the states...I call BS on that because that would screw with the military stuff...So alot of what they say no matter who the source is, is done to build that confusion more. It's rare to get 2 matching stories.

There were several tours at the Co-Pilot event and none of the guides all ha their stuff dialed the same. It is part of the mystery of Oakley. As for Jim, it is well known that his biggest mistake was taking Oakley public. He has stated that many times. I think honestly the board pushed the deal more than he was bullied directly from Lux. Plus, as wolf stated, he ha been working on Red...Hell, it was halfway being done there at hq, and you can see the same passion and design in Red products as you once did in Oakley. When it went public is when he lost the control. It was only a matter of time. I also heard from the start (not concrete confirmed) that as a condition of the deal, Colin Baden was to be guaranteed a 5 year deal as CEO, and that time is about up now...Dec 2007...So let's just see what is in store.

Sure some designs were 5 years in the making, but I seriously doubt all of them are planned that far out cuz the trends change too fast. It's all relative. Bottom line, LUX is changing the company because they are pushing for maximum profit and minimal cost. O matter and especially acetate are vastly cheaper than X Metal, and yeah, you bet your @$$ they will bring one back in the elite line-up. Dummies will pay $1500+++++ for an "Elite Juliet"...Just like spending it on a damn pair of Frogskins...They got everyone by the balls with their "supply and demand" crap...Enjoy lol

I was waiting to hear your opinion. Globalization is the trend that I think people need to fallow in this situation. Oakley is no different from any other company in that share holders want profits and dividends, not quality products. Going public was in fact a major mistake as Jim was no dummy and knew that it would eventually lead to discruction. Look at Rayban...they went through the exact same thing, but dont worry.... Walmarts has some nice glasses and they are not owned by Lux...lol

I believe you hit the nail on the head with the mention that no one has the same story. That makes this situation very hard to comprehend and inevitably will only fuel speculation. Doesn't help that 60 Minutes did a segment making Lux look like the bad guy. But in all honesty, the way the guy danced around the question of the "merger" makes me do nothing but suspect that there was conflict.

At least Oakley is still made in the USA. I'm not certain but if Oakley ever moved production, I think I would be done buying new pairs. I really think Lux has hurt Oakley but they are still the best, and still do have some innovation in there designs. I think as time passes we will see more innovation. This was a great post and a great watch. The whole sunglass hut Oakley deal really does make me quite mad, just plain crappy business practice's.

Latest Posts

Back