1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. discostu

discostu Oakley Expert Premium Member

I've installed an old customxmetal - now exovista, Cobalt Blue set my brother had from a few years back, temporarily, until I can have an oem ice cut for them. I was going to go with maybe a black or bronze colour but I think this colourway looks the best in a plasma frame. This will be my daily pair .... for now :). It seems to be a decent likeness for an aftermarket also I think, and clarity is not bad at all to be honest. Thoughts ?
    A Decent Custom Ice Alternative - 064ED02E-DCD9-40FD-90E5-CD7011699384_zpstghsecwl.jpg

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. xmetalmaniac

xmetalmaniac Made of Metal Premium Member Lifetime Member

I would be more concerned with optical quality more then anything else. Like we all have discussed before what you wear is your business, if you want to subject your eyes to poor quality optics that is your choice. I know that exovista lenses have a habit of causing star burst effects on viewed light which is nothing more then the optical degradation showing.

3. discostu

Thanks for the information. I was not aware of actual optical degradation occurring with aftermarkets although I'm well aware they have nothing on an Oakley lens optically. Do you know if this affects in any way the protective qualities of the lens at all ?
    Thanks

4. kronin323

kronin323 Font of Useless Knowledge Premium Member

By "protective qualities" do you mean impact protection, UV protection, or something else? My understanding is that the shatterproof and UV blocking properties of polycarbonate lenses are innate to polycarbonate itself, not a production add-on. So, as long as they're actually polycarbonate and not some cheaper type of plastic, those two things should be good.

But polarization, tint (if not tint-in-base), and mirror coatings are add-ons that can damage / degrade.

5. discostu

Yes I was referring the the UV protection of the lens if the optics have degraded, as this would definitely be of concern. If as you say the protection is within the polycarbonate itself, it should be unaffected. Thanks!

6. xmetalmaniac

xmetalmaniac Made of Metal Premium Member Lifetime Member

Thanks for taking my thunder, Bogart!:punish:

Dyeraudio, discostu and kronin323 like this.
  7. kronin323

Hey you let it go unanswered for a whopping 19 minutes; I just couldn't take it any longer...:behindsofa::D

discostu likes this.
  8. Duke Nivram

Duke Nivram (Something Clever)

not according to oakley

http://www.oakley.com/innovation/optical-superiority/impact-protection

Last edited: 7/23/14
  9. kronin323

Actually that link compares Oakley lenses to some non-polycarbonate competitor's lenses. The Dior and Gucci are CR39, which is a different material. The MJ's are glass.

It's just marketing spin that the page doesn't specify that the shatter protection is a result of using polycarbonate itself instead of something extra that Oakley does...

10. Duke Nivram

Duke Nivram (Something Clever)

true that bit is unclear. hence my disclaimer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.