• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

A Point On Oakley Price

Dustin McGraw

Oakley Beginner
Before i bought my first pair of Oakleys, i had a moment where i debated whether or not it was worth the $150 price tag, (I got Flak Jacket XLJ's). Then i researched the product itself, realized they were made in America, they had billions in research invested into glasses, and used the best products available.

So i bought them. And believe me, i was on a tight budget when i did, and i feel it was worth it. But yeah, there's those people that say "only Douchebags wear Oakleys", and "Oakleys make the shades that transform a tool", but i dont think they realize we just care about quality, not about the style, (atleast me and most of us do).

A few of my friends constantly heckle me about how they are a waste of money, and give me all these reseans why they are, without listening to my reasons. So what do you guys think about the price? and does anyone give you a hard time for wearing Oakleys?

No-one has ever given me a hard time for wearing Oakleys.

I would advise you, next time someone gives you a hard time over £150 sunglasses, to ask them how much they spend on a pair of training shoes.
Or a pair of jeans.

It's the same thing.
They are all just accessories at the end of the day.

And arguably your expensive sunglasses will far out-live their expensive jeans and trainers.

I've never spent more than $50 on a pair of jeans but will gladly spend $100+ on glasses.

You know why? Glasses protect your eyes, jeans are just a fashion accessory.

I think i agree with Herbsley and Batwolf. Herbsley, i i just tried that one on one of my friends, he said "Yeah, but my nike's protect my feet". then i said to him "wouldn't you rather have sore feet than be blind?" that shut him up. And With Batwolf and Herbsley, they really are an acessory, one that sets us apart from everyone else, kind of like "I see your designer jeans and raise you my Bullet-Proof Oakleys"

I've never spent more than $50 on a pair of jeans but will gladly spend $100+ on glasses.

You know why? Glasses protect your eyes, jeans are just a fashion accessory.

And eyes are so crazy important! If your eyes get wrecked, they're never getting anywhere near 100% again no matter what you do. They're also the most sensitive part of the body as well. To not protect your eyes from both the environment and impact is crazy. I've sold Oaks for 13 years and have heard far to many horror stories (and stories of how they saved eyes) first hand... definitely not simply an accessory. An Ed Hard steering wheel cover is an accessory. Pretty much every other sunglass on the market is an accessory. Oaks are something more, which is why forums like this exist.

Aside from the safety factor and UV protection, try re-selling a used pair of jeans or shoes for what you paid for them.

A lot of people mention the safety aspect of Oakleys for me I just like the styles, they are comfortable, well made, great choice of lenses and the lenses themselves are optically superior to anything else I've ever put in front of my eyes

Neil

I love Oakleys but anyone who doesn't think their prices are blatant ripoffs is kidding themselves. You are paying a lot for the name. And you don't need Oakleys or even to spend more than $25-30 to protect your eyes. Even most $5-10 sunglasses, suck as they might, will offer the same UV protection. Oakley has made a business out of 1) selling style 2) convincing people old and very cheap technology is somehow exclusive to them and really expensive. I buy for #1. It's nice to have good fit and finish too. But also even Oakley themselves often sells for 50%off and still make a profit.

Back