• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

A Point On Oakley Price

Oakley's are expensive because your buying the "Oakley" name, not the "special materials" they are made out of.
You're not just buying the name, but you are buying the years of research and engineering that is behind the name. When you buy a pair of sunglasses from Oakley, you are not just paying for the raw material, but the way that material is put together and how it came to be put together that way.

Like Rustpot and I said, Oakley is a huge brand. All of the years of research and different arrangements of metals and plastics just solidifies the brand name, not so much the price of the materials. Its probably 15-25 dollars in materials to make a pair, then maybe 40 more added for retail? I remember when Oakleys used to be under 90 dollars, now there all over 130! Its all about the Brand and it's demand.

+1! Differing personalities and opinions are what make this forum great!

Agreed!

Oakley's are expensive because your buying the "Oakley" name, not the "special materials" they are made out of

I think with X Metals you are paying for special materials.

Its probably 15-25 dollars in materials to make a pair, then maybe 40 more added for retail?

I think with X Metals it was WAY more than $25 to make a pair.

It's all about a person's preference. Nobody is "right" or "wrong" Let's be honest here, expensive and cheap sunglasses both likely have a mark up that is pretty high. Expensive ones then tack on the name and perhaps research costs and other costs to inflate it higher. They consequentially likely will make less on volume. Cheap sunglasses probably use even cheaper materials cut research costs and market at a lower price point trying to make up the difference in volume. Even the "gas station" sunglasses are making well over 300-400% per pair or it wouldn't be worth it for them. As the saying goes "if you want to own a Bentley, don't complain about the gas" Of course that doesn't mean don't try to get one on the cheap if you can lol.

I like the style and could care less about them being overpriced. If you really look at the high end sunglass manufactures Oakley is not that bad. What's the cheapest pair (excluding vault specials) Gas cans at $90? You want to know what's overpriced? Gucci, Armani, Tom Ford etc.

I like the style and could care less about them being overpriced. If you really look at the high end sunglass manufactures Oakley is not that bad. What's the cheapest pair (excluding vault specials) Gas cans at $90? You want to know what's overpriced? Gucci, Armani, Tom Ford etc.
Miami Lost their winning streak :( Sob

Miami Lost their winning streak :( Sob

Yeah I saw the game last night...I was disappointed. It would have been great if they broke the record but 27 in a row is still an incredible feat. It may actually be a blessing in disguise so there's not so much pressure on them to keep winning and the Heat still have the best record in the NBA :D

Yeah I saw the game last night...I was disappointed. It would have been great if they broke the record but 27 in a row is still an incredible feat. It may actually be a blessing in disguise so there's not so much pressure on them to keep winning and the Heat still have the best record in the NBA :D
2nd best winning streak :( i was hoping they beat the lakers record :D

You're not just buying the name, but you are buying the years of research and engineering that is behind the name. When you buy a pair of sunglasses from Oakley, you are not just paying for the raw material, but the way that material is put together and how it came to be put together that way.
This is very true. Not many people realize that the technology Oakley has developed over the years creates patents, which in turn cost money.

With any product you are really paying for the patents that apply to that item. The more patents the more the price will be (I.E. Radar vs Holbrook).

You want to know what's overpriced? Gucci, Armani, Tom Ford etc.
In those instances you do not get what you paid for. If you want to talk about paying for just a name look no further than those brands.

Back