• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

A rare sight...

Your JPPO serial looks etched whereas mine looks lasered (spelling?). I've seen both.
so is my jppl lasered? i did notice a difference but am not sure why. i did notice the jppl to be really faint.

I'll check mine later on, can't say I've looked that closely, other than to note the serials.

? There were two OEM Ti clear models and 9 OEM finishes (a couple of which came after these) - don't know where you're getting 4 from?
Yeah this intrigued me too but I assumed it had to be an error. If however there were XMetal/Carbon/Polished or even Ti Ti Clears that have remained a secret, I need to know!

Hi Saul,

To answer couple of your questions,

Yes the serials run higher than 2000. I have never seen one above 2500.

The story i got behind these were that japan is a very conservative culture and it is considered rude to wear sunglasses as you cant see someone in the eye when talking to them hence the higher transmission lenses for this market. Not sure how true this is as I did see plenty of people on the street with sunnies lol.

The other interesting fact is that I see a lot more plasma then polished.

Not sure if it was just a coincidence.

Hi Saul,

To answer couple of your questions,

Yes the serials run higher than 2000. I have never seen one above 2500.

The story i got behind these were that japan is a very conservative culture and it is considered rude to wear sunglasses as you cant see someone in the eye when talking to them hence the higher transmission lenses for this market. Not sure how true this is as I did see plenty of people on the street with sunnies lol.

The other interesting fact is that I see a lot more plasma then polished.

Not sure if it was just a coincidence.
Darker eye pigmentation than Caucasian makes sunglasses less needed here. That's the biological fact that accounts for relatively little sunglass use other than for fashion and sport where it tends to be high transmission like G30 and slate.

Don't think there's anything in the theory about eye contact because Japanese culture entails much less eye contact that most other countries. However it's a very formal society and you'd almost never see someone in a suit on a work day with sunglasses, even in glaring sun.

Apart from me in my XX ;-)

Direct eye contact happens rather less in Japan than we are used to in the West, as Saul says, so I don't think that can be part of the rationale. It's odd at first but you get used to talking to people's necks!

The direct eye contact story is actually what Oakley JP and its Japanese premium dealers told fans in 2005 or 2006 if you asked them about why there were so many clear exclusives in the Japanese eyewear lineup (Hatchet titanium clear, Gold and Ruby Clear Unknown, Ti Clear Juliets). Whether this is actually true or just lip service is unknown, but that's what their official answer was.

Latest Posts

Back