• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

A rare sight...

The direct eye contact story is actually what Oakley JP and its Japanese premium dealers told fans in 2005 or 2006 if you asked them about why there were so many clear exclusives in the Japanese eyewear lineup (Hatchet titanium clear, Gold and Ruby Clear Unknown, Ti Clear Juliets). Whether this is actually true or just lip service is unknown, but that's what their official answer was.

That's very interesting. But also very odd since by making the lenses almost clear, they are no longer sunglasses, although they do allow for eye contact!

That's very interesting. But also very odd since by making the lenses almost clear, they are no longer sunglasses, although they do allow for eye contact!
I think it's more odd because it's clearly culturally incorrect! I could understand it if Oakley US had trotted that line out, but the locals is a different matter. Maybe because it prevents initial eye contact, because prolonged eye contact doesn't really happen there so much, does it?

I think it's more odd because it's clearly culturally incorrect! I could understand it if Oakley US had trotted that line out, but the locals is a different matter. Maybe because it prevents initial eye contact, because prolonged eye contact doesn't really happen there so much, does it?
Yeah it just doesn't make sense. It all sounds implausible. I'm going to contact my Oakley Japan contact and see what he says.

lol all this talk is making me want to go back to my pet project.

I always wanted a pair of plasma with prescription lenses as reading glasses.

Anyone know where I can get decently priced prescriptions for the juliets?

Oakley Rx is prob gonna cost me my arm and leg.

Sorry, just remembered to do this...

image.jpeg

And equally, just noticed that the JPPL has 25s in! It's so loose that I hadn't noticed until then... Need to get it tuned really, debating on where to do that.

I once saw a Japanese officer working indoor was wearing an XX with a clear lenses and thought he must love it so much. I think these days more and more people are starting to break from old habits and they do use sunglasses.

Here's what my contact at Oakley Japan wrote me today:

'I would like to answer to your question regarding Japanese Limited editions.
I contacted some people and found the reason was just that lens color was very popular at Japan market.

“Why3” or “Big Square-Wire” started to use that Ti-clear colored lens.

Those were not popular in US but in Japan (and Europe also), as we have many cloudy days, that color was accepted here in Japan. As the result, some models in Japan was continued with this lens color.'

Here's what my contact at Oakley Japan wrote me today:

'I would like to answer to your question regarding Japanese Limited editions.
I contacted some people and found the reason was just that lens color was very popular at Japan market.

“Why3” or “Big Square-Wire” started to use that Ti-clear colored lens.

Those were not popular in US but in Japan (and Europe also), as we have many cloudy days, that color was accepted here in Japan. As the result, some models in Japan was continued with this lens color.'
I don't know, I still think there must have been more to. At least I think I preferred it when it felt like a mystery :-/

Latest Posts

Back