• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

A visual definition of X-Metal

MJLSr

I am Jim Jannard...
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
All this talk about the new 'Metal and such
Seems to confuse and annoy some of us very much
So I thought to myself I could share my definition right quick
Just by sharing a really good pic
So here you go - this is what I see
When I close my eyes, what X-Metal should be...

16288492407_e8396a25c5_k.jpg
16286963680_c5282951d9_k.jpg
16474390005_e70f9d6226_k.jpg
16288139929_be632ad2d7_k.jpg
16474386985_0e994b46dc_k.jpg

For those that care to know what it is that I show...
...an XX Plasma with Chrome polars screams of the X-Metal I know :cool-20:

So what do you see when you think of X-Metal?
A logo?
An icon?
Something different all together?
Please share your pics
Let our eyes do the talking
And leave out the words
Between the lines we are walking

:)

View attachment 128927 View attachment 128929 View attachment 128930 View attachment 128926 View attachment 128928

A logo?
An icon?
Please share your pics
And leave out the words

Definitely a classic X metal.

That's one clean XX... Amazing. I agree with this definition. 100% metal, 100% awesome! I couldn't agree more with this. For me is the flex nose bridge. I almost don't even include the half X for that reason, which is one reason I don't have one, but at least it's 100% metal and the same x metal alloy. So I guess it belongs :).

I liked the "justification" that corporate made for explaining the aluminum and Omatter blend. Stating that x metal ws not a design or material it was a concept. That's BS to me. If they just came out and said this is the new generation of the x metal school of though I would be fine with that...
If it's not 100% metal, not 100% x metal, it's not x metal...
image.jpg

View attachment 128927 View attachment 128929 View attachment 128930 View attachment 128926 View attachment 128928

A logo?
An icon?
Please share your pics
And leave out the words

Now thats an xmetal and not a cheapmetal lol.

IIRC the idea that became x-metals was a desire to create metal frames that, instead of being bent wires, could have the more sculpted shapes that were possible with plastic, but without the weight penalty. So a casting process and a Titanium alloy that works with it were created, and they called that alloy x-metal.

IIRC the idea that became x-metals was a desire to create metal frames that, instead of being bent wires, could have the more sculpted shapes that were possible with plastic, but without the weight penalty. So a casting process and a Titanium alloy that works with it were created, and they called that alloy x-metal.
Exactly! The concept or idea was devised and then they invented the process and material to accomplish the concept/ idea. The alloy and process are as much x metal as the original concept. They are one and the same. Well said @kronin323

I am newer to the Xmetals than most, so my opinions may vary slightly. I do see both the material and the design language as equally important. The first X metal, the Romeo was definitely the original. The following models vary greatly in their design. Specifically the Mars was very different from the original Romeo. That new variation in design is very X metals to me.

I do agree the XX was a great combination of the different aspects that made the X metals. I also feel the fact that the original finish and the most raw of all the finishes was called X metal speaks volumes to their original intentions…

I do understand when people say the half-x is not really an X metal, but again I think that variation and creativity in design is part of what were X metals.There were design flaws in quite a few of the iconic X metals, but that is part of what makes them unique.

Having said all that, I definitely feel the X metal moniker is being used as a marketing ploy. They have neither the material or a similar design language to me… they do seem to go in the direction of mad science, but it is more vintage Oakley uniqueness than X metal IMO. Not saying I won't ever own one, but I will have a hard time calling them X metals!
image.jpg
image.jpg

I am newer to the Xmetals than most, so my opinions may vary slightly. I do see both the material and the design language as equally important. The first X metal, the Romeo was definitely the original. The following models vary greatly in their design. Specifically the Mars was very different from the original Romeo. That new variation in design is very X metals to me.

I do agree the XX was a great combination of the different aspects that made the X metals. I also feel the fact that the original finish and the most raw of all the finishes was called X metal speaks volumes to their original intentions…

I do understand when people say the half-x is not really an X metal, but again I think that variation and creativity in design is part of what were X metals.There were design flaws in quite a few of the iconic X metals, but that is part of what makes them unique.

Having said all that, I definitely feel the X metal moniker is being used as a marketing ploy. They have neither the material or a similar design language to me… they do seem to go in the direction of mad science, but it is more vintage Oakley uniqueness than X metal IMO. Not saying I won't ever own one, but I will have a hard time calling them X metals!
View attachment 128959 View attachment 128960
Okay, totally missed my mark on that one. Way more words than pictures. Apparently I was looking for a soapbox. Sorry…:headbang:

Back