• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

A visual definition of X-Metal

20141023_130714_zpsc66aebdc.jpg

Here is my take lol

Okay, totally missed my mark on that one. Way more words than pictures. Apparently I was looking for a soapbox. Sorry…:headbang:
Let me counter your post with one of my own from the design perspective.

For me, looking at the "new Xmetals" its impossible to not see the past models showing through in the design language, and I think that's very intentional (read: intentional, not good or bad). The madman obviously resembles the mars just because of the orbital shape. The stems of both the madman and badman have similar design to the hammer stems from several Xmetals. The badman nose bridge to me is very similar to the R1 nose bridge, even though its plastic. The whole badman design for me is very close to the X Squared. There are more similarities I'm sure but those are the ones that jump out at me.

So that's it. Collectors wanted the old, regular buyers wanted something new, and Oakley had to make something in the middle they could turn a profit on. These are the fruits of that labor, for better or worse. Don't you think there are hardcore collectors at Oakley HQ who jumped for joy when these designs were being flushed out? Or do you think they all said eff this, Lux sucks, Oakley is hopeless let's bail.

The only metal I own is XX. The only other metals I'm interested in are the R1 and Juliet. Does that mean I have to hate the Mars, X squared, penny, etc? Of course not. But apparently that same line of thinking can't apply to the "new Xmetals", or maybe we just haven't hit that point yet.

All I can really say is I appreciate the effort that went in to these new pairs. Its not another gascan/fuelcell rehash, and its not another frogskin spinoff. For that I'm thankful, and it helps me be hopeful for the future of Oakley. I guess for some it has the opposite effect.

For me, looking at the "new Xmetals" its impossible to not see the past models showing through in the design language, and I think that's very intentional (read: intentional, not good or bad). The madman obviously resembles the mars just because of the orbital shape. The stems of both the madman and badman have similar design to the hammer stems from several Xmetals. The badman nose bridge to me is very similar to the R1 nose bridge, even though its plastic. The whole badman design for me is very close to the X Squared. There are more similarities I'm sure but those are the ones that jump out at me.

So that's it. Collectors wanted the old, regular buyers wanted something new, and Oakley had to make something in the middle they could turn a profit on. These are the fruits of that labor, for better or worse. Don't you think there are hardcore collectors at Oakley HQ who jumped for joy when these designs were being flushed out? Or do you think they all said eff this, Lux sucks, Oakley is hopeless let's bail.

The only metal I own is XX. The only other metals I'm interested in are the R1 and Juliet. Does that mean I have to hate the Mars, X squared, penny, etc? Of course not. But apparently that same line of thinking can't apply to the "new Xmetals", or maybe we just haven't hit that point yet.

All I can really say is I appreciate the effort that went in to these new pairs. Its not another gascan/fuelcell rehash, and its not another frogskin spinoff. For that I'm thankful, and it helps me be hopeful for the future of Oakley. I guess for some it has the opposite effect.
There is nothing wrong in whats your saying bro. It is something new for sure and all of us are not counting them out atleast i am not. I am sure all of us would love to try this new releases out who would not?. To his to its own conclusion. There is no judgement here. Is it going to be a collectors item? Only time will tell oakley produces them in a span of 3 years discontinue them guess what all of us will be hoarding for sure it becomes a collectors piece its a never ending debate and a never ending collection wise. If you buy em and like em great. If you dont then no also you said Collectors wanted the old?. I disagree collectors want them all plastics, xmetal, carbon etc. these are the hardcore ones.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike the new designs and I do see the throwback. I just think the combo of material and innovation made Xmetals unique. It is more of a x metal inspired fusion. I just think calling something with plastic in it a X-metal is a stretch. The use of a titanium alloy is part of what made it what it was, super tough and industrial. Sorry for the wordy hijack:punish:

Last edited:
I should also point out that x-metals weren't a design philosophy - that's marketing retconning.

According to JJ himself in the "questions for Jim" sticky, x-metals were designed using a philosophy they coined as "slogging", and they used it for more than just x-metals. IIRC.

Latest Posts

Back