• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

About To Be Sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buddie

Oakley Beginner
Stopped at the Oakley store today and every pair of glasses I picked up were made in China. What the hell is going on. I used to be proud to wear great glasses that were made in the USA.

Stopped at the Oakley store today and every pair of glasses I picked up were made in China. What the hell is going on. I used to be proud to wear great glasses that were made in the USA.
Welcome to the forum. And welcome to America in the new millennium.

It is difficult to find items that do not source anything from China. Their labor is cheap, their material is cheap, their laws aren't restrictive, their taxes are cheap, their government is corrupt (well, I'm not sure that's a contrasting argument)... it's a capitalist's dream. And we, as Americans, are born and bred to make money. And then make more money. Something the Italians apparently share.

So, a company that answers to one man is sold into a conglomerate run by a board, answering to shareholders. How do you make more money? Market diversification. Target certain demographics (in this case 20-something upper to upper-middle class active people). Cut the products with high overhead and low profit margins (X-metals). Decrease manufacturing costs (China). Decrease raw material costs (China). Utilize company assets more effectively (China).

It's been a trend for decades.

Does Oakley NEED to be made in the USA? Is it a commodity that loses quality or value by moving production? Not if a seamless transition is made.

Now, there will be people arguing until they're blue in the face that Luxottica is killing Oakley, that China production is the new reality, that the new stuff is not up to the same quality standards. But there have been a few quiet voices that have stuck their necks out around here that not many people are willing to listen to. The fact that Oakley can't keep up with demand is a strong indicator that they needs a new manufacturing facility. And a year ago they couldn't keep certain pairs on the shelves. Say hello to Luxottica's wealth of world-wide manufacturing facilities. For the cost of dies they can tool up and have their production needs met. It would be silly not to.

All that said, I'm not particularly happy either. But if you separate the wheat from the chaff there's still a mad scientist or two at Oakley giving us some killer pairs.

Sorry to bring all of this into a thread on your first post, but it's been brewing and I needed an outlet.

Once again, welcome!

Hang around here long enough and get access to the exchange... Plenty of vintage "made in the USA" sunnies are available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back