• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Added Commerce Section Rules?

Rustpot

M Frame Lover
Clarkston/Romeo MI
I think it might be a good idea to put some additional rules in place for the commerce sections. As the site gains popularity there are likely going to be people who show up for the sole purpose of offloading pairs or potentially running scams.

In addition to being a member I think 5 or 10 posts would be a good idea. Low enough to have someone post a hello and not be super restricted, high enough for the people who register just to make use of the commerce sections.

Also, it might be a good idea to put in a soft rule about not bumping your thread in under 24 hours. I see a lot of people post a topic and within the day post again saying something like "no one, really?". It just seems a bit offputting, especially since not everyone checks the board within a 12 hour span. This will also help ebb the traffic and topics won't cycle off the top page as fast.

What do you all think?

I actually suggested the post count requirement for "Misc./Everything Else Exchange" and I think we should add the same rule to all the Exchange threads. Also agree with the bumping your own thread rule, on one of my forums I go to where there are alot of traffic on the Market thread, you cannot bump your own thread more than once within 12 hr after posting and each bump. Also have a "bump your own post" limit of 3. Then usually its the other members that bump your thread for you so you dont use up all your bump your own powers :tongue:

to be honest i think that 5 or 10 seem a bit to low. Cause i can show up post some replies in some different topics and boom. Id say 15 for the minimum posts. thats just me.

as for the bumping your own thread/sale i agree with jokerz. have a limit of 3 bumps per post. that seems fair to me.

Limiting bumps to a maximum of three seems kind of drastic. Especially for those that are willing to wait until their price is met. I'd suggest not being able to bump the thread if it's still on page 1 of the exchange section it's listed on.

Minimum post count sounds good.... as for bumping your own post I was thinking no more than one bump per 48 hours. I mean really if someone is looking for what you got, they will find it, no need to bump twice a day to try to be at the top of the list all the time. I bump my post like once every week or two... not daily

to be honest i think that 5 or 10 seem a bit to low. Cause i can show up post some replies in some different topics and boom. Id say 15 for the minimum posts. thats just me.

as for the bumping your own thread/sale i agree with jokerz. have a limit of 3 bumps per post. that seems fair to me.

I was thinking 5 or 10 since in most cases having a number at all will drive the people away who just want to post in the exchange area. If someone pops up and they have 5-10 "yup" or "cool shades" posts and then a big listing of items for sale at high prices, well then it's pretty obvious what they're doing.

On the other hand someone shows up who doesn't post a lot, sticks up a hello post, shows a pic of their collection, makes 2-3 more posts, etc. I'd call that person wanting to be a part of the O-Community.

We have discussed this several times in the past. We can look at it different ways. As for bumps, I would like to see the bump only available after the thread reaches page 2 only. Bumping every 12-24 hours is like someone is seriously desperate to sell, and 2 whole pages of just bumps is starts cluttering the thread. Also if a senior/well established member "sponsers/or vouches" for a new member or collector that should be helpful to the rest of the forum.

On the subject of posts.........maybe and its just a suggestion.........how about we allow new members to post items for sale only after they are a member for at least a month or two? That would allow members to get a feel for there honesty, integrety, knowledge, seriousness of being on the forum. Not all members care about disscussions, collecting, modding, etc. they want to sell stuff and move on. I have seen a few, do this and sure it helps them out and buyers out. But some potential members may not want to wait for the month and they get discouraged and move on.

Some members come on here post stuff for sale then leave their email address as a contact and never come back to the forum. Its like a hub for them......Then again there have been awesome deals offered by members, great trades, and good information shared by awesome people. We all check the exchange area, we PM and discuss with the seller a potential offer, etc. If the buyer doesn't feel comfortable, they don't have to make a deal. I know that some members talk amongst themselves, and this can also affect a seller if the discussion was sketchy.......

I've seen several people show up and offer a sale as their first or second post, which to me I would never pursue. It can be annoying, but all in all like xmetalmaniac said, if the buyer doesn't feel comfortable he doesn't have to make a deal. The bumps on a daily basis are pretty annoying though. I would suggest people adjust their prices to stir interest instead of bumping everyday. Maybe a bump should have to include a price adjustment or an update to the sale?

the other forum i'm a member of has these rules in their sales threads:

-user must be a member of at least 3 months w/ at least 50 posts
-only 1 active sales thread at a time
-sales thread can only be bumped by seller once every 24 hours.

Latest Posts

Back