• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Adding Serial Number Service On The Frame

pennyhoney

Oakley Expert
SF Bay Area
With all the added interest and technology available to an X-Metal enthusiast, I have no doubt this service may become available to all of us in the near future. All it takes is one to perfect the font, size and technique... or better yet if someone gets a hold of that machine from the now shut-down X-Metal Nevada plant. . The question is will this lead to massive cheating?? (especially if couple this service with sticker/barcode printing service- hey that machine in Nevada may be available too)

My reasons on why this service should be / should not be available to us:

Should be:
1) bec. some of the serial numbers on the X-Metals becomes faded to the point that it is hardly visible
2) bec. one may want a personalized serial number on the frame just like the personalized engraving on the lenses
3) bec. the Romeo 2 really looks bare and butt-naked without them lol
4) bec. it will bring a boat load of money to me on eBay (and you)

Should NOT be bec:
1) temptation to add serial number on post 2004 X-Metal production to add value to the pair (e.g. the Emerald Slate Ichiro,)
2) temptation to change the high serial number to a lower one
3) X-Metal empty boxes w/ low serial number bar codes will sell for sky high
4) duplicate serial numbers will be roaming around the community
5) spurt of self proclaimed one offs. (e.g. R&D pairs, unreleased pair, sale rep only and etc)
6) it opens up a new can of worms...

Some on this board feel that this practice is already underway...

I think this a horrible idea. I don't have a problem with customizing glasses and custom etching on the lenses, but adding serials ruins what the serials are in the first place. But in the end if it is possible someone will do it just like everything else in the world.

I think this a horrible idea. I don't have a problem with customizing glasses and custom etching on the lenses, but adding serials ruins what the serials are in the first place. But in the end if it is possible someone will do it just like everything else in the world.

Agreed.

Back