• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Advice From Fellow Collectors

Mr. K

Oakley Expert
Seattle, WA
I like the XS over the Juliets, although I have and wear both.

I have 5 XS and they get the most use.

My question is, would it be silly to buy duplicate pairs? I just think that if X metals go away, now is the time to buy some more. I looked into Pennys and some of the others but really do prefer XS.

I know it is possible the wrong place to be asking if I should buy more, but only you guys will really understand.

What will I do with some of the duplicates? Sit in storage or on display I guess. If I have one wear to wear and one to display, is that silly?

The bad thing is the ones I want dups of ice and ruby are not polarized, but such is life.

So what are some of the pros and cons of buying some more now? Would have to imagine XS will always be worth something for resale (at least 50% of what I paid for them ... right?) So admire them for a bit, then just sell later on if I downsize?

I just can see myself trying to hunt these down in a few years and just not finding them at all mint with box and coin. I will pay good money for them now, but at least they will be brand new with all the goodies.

Anyway, what advice can you offer?

Haha what do you think the answer will be from all the O addicts? Buying duplicates is common. Have one pair for knocking around and just wearing and another pair that you just put away. Doesn't hurt to have another pair in storage that may be harder to find later. Especially since you really like the XS you're not going to regret having a mint pair to pull out in a couple years.

Why does everyone think the x metal will disappear? All they are doing is relocating their facility where they make them. I'll go out on a limb and say we as consumers won't even know when the old place shuts down and the new one opens. As popular as the x metal lines are, I'm sure they will have a supply on hand so they don't run out during the transition.

Why does everyone think the x metal will disappear? All they are doing is relocating their facility where they make them. I'll go out on a limb and say we as consumers won't even know when the old place shuts down and the new one opens. As popular as the x metal lines are, I'm sure they will have a supply on hand so they don't run out during the transition.

what i heard was that there was no new facility being built and all current Xmetals discontinued by 2013 (something like that)? where are the news articles?! haha we need to straighten this story up

There are MULTIPLE reports from people both on this forum and elsewhere that the facility is shutting down in March, that the line will be discontinued from active production at that point, and that a new line of "cutting edge" sunglasses with different materials (translation-cheaper and less volatile) will be introduced late in 2012, early in 2013.

To answer the OP question (one I had considered asking myself)--buying duplicates is common and advisable now that the line is ending...I'm doing it somewhat myself as much as I can afford to. Personally, I would buy what you would be inclined to wear if you actually wear your pieces (like I do). From a practical perspective, the XS will be more durable and wearable over time because the flex coupler needs no tuning...and trust me, eventually the company will stop servicing the the couplers and you'll hear stories and see write ups where people are using various methods to fuse the coupler etc.

Collectibility? Hmmm...not sure...some would argue the Juliet is the more collectible of the line---BUT...I think all metals will be so valuable in coming years it won't really matter. With that said, RARITY (along with desirability) is what drives value...the less produced TIO2 XX is more valuable than the 24K in part because it ran for a shorter time....and using that thought process you could argue the X Squared will be worth more in coming years because it was in production for a much shorter period of time than the Juliet and there's simply less pieces in the world.

Again, myself, I would buy pairs you would wear if you wanted to. Me; I've split the difference and I'm purchasing and mothballing equal quantities of Metals right now between the XS and Juliet.

Thanks guys. All very helpful info. I will only buy ones that I intend to wear.

With that said, pulled the trigger on the ice version. On the hunt for the ruby ones. But soon. Quick way to drop $500.

Ouch.

Over the past couple of weeks, I've been contemplating liquidating my collection to free up funds to purchase some x-metals. I have a Juliet and XS, but would like to have at least one pair of each model before the real price gouging starts. Prices are already starting to inflate due to the recent news circulating, so I don't think it'll hurt any to grab what I can now. Idk, I'm still on the fence...don't want to sell what I've built up to now, but if x-metals change or go away completely, I know I'm going to regret it. Also, to ucdavis' point, I'm leary of what'll happen to servicing Juliets or any other x-metal frame that will need tune ups in the future. Tough decision...

Back