• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Aftermarket Lenses - Revant/Walleva/Fuse/Ikon/Linegear...etc

Stuff came in, and review is in progress. Wordy enough again that I'll have to put it in a separate thread. Might still be a week because I'm trying to get something addressed.

20151026_161455~2.jpg
20151026_161415~2.jpg

@Ventruck Thanks for the pics. If you do create a new thread I will reference it in this one. Or if you have the ability to edit your post add a link in it to your thread. Then people can quickly go to it.

I could edit this post and add the link then it is after your pics!

OK here's my IKON review. I bought pairs in 4 different colors after sending them my XX frame to start production for the XX frame.

Please keep in mind I do not have fancy optical equipment so I cannot provide metrics to scientifically compare these to OEM.
But, I do have 20/15 vision, an iphone camera, and enough 1st hand experience with oem and aftermarket lenses to gauge these pretty well. Unfortunately it is an overcast and kinda gray day here...so I'm gonna do my best. Also I apologize if some pics are sideways, I hate photobucket!

Introduction:
IKON caught my attention because after doing some reading I understood prism correction is one of the main things that has separated OEM from aftermarket lenses and may be what is responsible for eye strain after wearing for extended periods. Even Jim Jannard posted a thread about the "Aftermarket lens trap" and asked the question "are your lenses prism corrected?" etc.
I don't think IKON was around at the time of that post.

IKON lenses are prism corrected. They are also polycarbonate (like OEM) vs triacetate (like walleva and other brands) so better impact resistance.
They are melanin injected so 100% UV protection. They are also AR coated on the inside. In short they have more going for them than any other aftermarket lens I've seen or dealt with. Because donors for custom cuts are becoming scarce, and custom cut lenses are so expensive, I have been looking for an alternative and I am ecstatic that I found IKON.

But the proof is in the pudding right? Read on to see my impressions on IKONS Silver mirror, +Red, 24k, and Green colors.

-Arrival pics under artificial light:
IMG_1982_zpsphrmcxy1.jpg
IMG_1983_zps0vkptdzp.jpg
IMG_1984_zpsitonqqef.jpg

24K Gold - bronze base lens - transmission is 12%
+Red - grey base lens - transmission is 9%
Chrome - grey base lens - transmission is 11%
Green - bronze base lens - transmission 14%

OK: 1st up: +Red
Again: +Red - grey base lens - transmission is 9%

Initial Impression:
The first thing you notice obviously is the depth of the red. It is very deep. It does have a purple transition to it but not nearly as much as OEM +Red. It is very good at maintaining a deep red from all angles in my opinion. This is a breath taking lens from the outside.
From the outside:
IMG_2009_zpsrk9r0jhn.jpg
IMG_2002_zpslvxmzfqp.jpg
IMG_2001_zpsx547yerp.jpg
IMG_2003_zps27bqiblh.jpg
IMG_2004_zps3qhnuw3u.jpg
IMG_2021_zpsgzzqtydn.jpg

Now without window light coming right at it...This serves for Silver Mirror also.
IMG_1999_zpsqa21noam.jpg
IMG_1998_zpsfulmthwb.jpg

From the inside: The AR is the first thing you notice. It is there, and it's awesome.
IMG_2013_zps0llfsqht.jpg
IMG_2012_zps7iauf1hz.jpg
IMG_2011_zpstg5y6pam.jpgIMG_2010_zpskoxjwt61.jpg

Looking through:
IMG_2014_zpsz8feu76t.jpg
IMG_2020_zpszgblrpex.jpg

And the polarity is spot on.
IMG_2018_zpsdjfmbam0.jpg
IMG_2017_zpsal5ulpfw.jpg
IMG_2016_zps10ho48qz.jpg

Impression is very good. This lens is gorgeous from inside and out. No distortion at edges, no eye strain after hours of use.

See my next post for the continuation

Next up: Silver Mirror:
Again it is a grey base lens - transmission is 11%

Initial Impression:
One thing I noticed right away is the subtle mirror on the Silver lens. It is not this intense chrome mirror like you see on other aftermarket lenses. It is a subtle mirror and actually very, very close to OEM Black Iridium. Comparing OEM BI to OEM Chrome to IKON Silver Mirror, the IKON lens is somewhere in between the two:

IMG_1996_zpsl17u7bzi.jpg
IMG_1997_zps5qbnoxzt.jpg

Installed in a Ti02 frame with window light hitting it:
IMG_2005_zpsie4txymd.jpg
IMG_2006_zps9ydz5epp.jpg
IMG_2007_zpsgxjuhbmr.jpg
IMG_2008_zpsouyyglsr.jpg

Again with the AR, bluish tint like the Red lens
IMG_2022_zpsrelvjsyj.jpg
IMG_2023_zps265g04rb.jpg
IMG_2024_zps8rtbzsap.jpg

Looking through was hard to get proper pics. It has a slightly higher light transmission than the Red so it's lighter to look through if that makes sense
IMG_2025_zpske5e6bno.jpg
IMG_2029_zps1zunsdso.jpg

For brevity I forwent the polarity Lcd test pics, but it is spot on exactly like the rest. at 90 degrees it goes dark.

Next up: 24k
Ok this is a bronze base lens - transmission is 12%

The first thing you notice is that it is a little more subtle than OEM 24k. OEM 24k is like astronaut helmet right in your face chrome gold. This lens definitely is a little darker from the outside, it's like they just dropped a thimble-full of bronze color into the mix. It is honestly absolutely gorgeous IMO. Somewhere between OEM 24k and OEM Gold.
Definitely seems to be contrast enhancing as well.
IMG_2036_zpslbqscx3a.jpg
IMG_2032_zpsgchjj7zw.jpg
IMG_2033_zpslv01u4av.jpg
IMG_2034_zpse3baho8k.jpg
IMG_2035_zpsjgexmrov.jpg
IMG_2037_zps5t9xktio.jpg

The AR has a pinkish/purple hue about it.
IMG_2043_zpssta2q6d7.jpg
IMG_2044_zpstkmervii.jpg
7eff6a44-2f70-4fd8-a7c3-34946db0c88b_zpstgqzdbpu.jpg

Looking through:
IMG_2046_zpsfckljqzk.jpg
IMG_2048_zpsyrxesiov.jpg

And again perfect polarity:
IMG_2050_zpsartwmibb.jpg
IMG_2051_zpsy7ifrtiq.jpg
IMG_2052_zpspiyarmbd.jpg

Impression is again very, very good. This lens rocks!

Please see my next post for the continuation!

Final lens: GREEN
So again this is a bronze base lens - transmission 14%

Initial Impression:
Under certain conditions, it looks like that nuclear piss green walleva emeraldine looks like to me. Kinda blah and eww. But take a closer look or put it under just about any other lighting condition or angle and WOW it is like, it's like G26 except usable. It has that weird bluish/purple transition thing going on as your rotate around it, but it is not as pronounced as it is with say, jade.

From the outside
IMG_2041_zpsszu4qfoe.jpg
IMG_2039_zpsokiqjkvs.jpg
IMG_2040_zpsgy45luui.jpg
IMG_2042_zpstpwcfcjq.jpg
IMG_2038_zpssko1eckf.jpg
IMG_2058_zpsipdq4arm.jpg
IMG_2059_zpswhwn4ip3.jpg

The AR is hard to describe in terms of color. This is a bronze base lens, the AR is a little pink with some green in there too I guess. You decide
IMG_2053_zpsufmx5slb.jpg
IMG_2054_zpszkb6rfgv.jpg
IMG_2055_zpswe9deqjg.jpg

Looking through:
IMG_2057_zpsuu8fez2g.jpg
IMG_2056_zpsinxmbjvr.jpg

And polarity:
IMG_2060_zpsgrl5acde.jpg
IMG_2061_zps3rimvjgf.jpg
IMG_2062_zpsiopjumc1.jpg

Again, very good impression overall. High quality and easy on the eyes. Because this is the highest light transmission lens of the bunch at 14% it is perfect for cloudy days like today.

Conclusions:
I am happy to support a USA made product and these lenses seem on par with OEM quality wise. The colors are slightly off from OEM but I appreciate the variety and I think they are fantastic. This is a small outfit with 2 cutting machines...not a giant company..so they don't have the ability probably to churn out a million color options. That being said I think the ones they've chosen and developed are excellent choices. Sort of mixes of different OEM colors into a great compromise with the Silver and the 24k. The Green is unique and the Red is honestly the best red I've had my hands on.

As donors become harder to find and the price of a custom cut polar pair being what, $140? These lenses, being prism corrected, AR coated, polycarbonate made in the USA melanin injected...for less than $40 a pair...I believe we have a winner folks...by a long shot!

Thank you Doug from IKON for your cooperation with my XX frame and my lens requests. Thank you @ikon lenses keep up the awesome work! You seem to "Get it", you see the vacuum in supply and at this quality level, at this price point, I believe you are going to clean up!!

Some final group pics
IMG_2063_zps9wztrycf.jpg
IMG_2064_zpsna7uic2z.jpg
IMG_2065_zps9se5tcsm.jpg

OK here's my IKON review. I bought pairs in 4 different colors after sending them my XX frame to start production for the XX frame.

Please keep in mind I do not have fancy optical equipment so I cannot provide metrics to scientifically compare these to OEM.
But, I do have 20/15 vision, an iphone camera, and enough 1st hand experience with oem and aftermarket lenses to gauge these pretty well. Unfortunately it is an overcast and kinda gray day here...so I'm gonna do my best. Also I apologize if some pics are sideways, I hate photobucket!

Introduction:
IKON caught my attention because after doing some reading I understood prism correction is one of the main things that has separated OEM from aftermarket lenses and may be what is responsible for eye strain after wearing for extended periods. Even Jim Jannard posted a thread about the "Aftermarket lens trap" and asked the question "are your lenses prism corrected?" etc.
I don't think IKON was around at the time of that post.

IKON lenses are prism corrected. They are also polycarbonate (like OEM) vs triacetate (like walleva and other brands) so better impact resistance.
They are melanin injected so 100% UV protection. They are also AR coated on the inside. In short they have more going for them than any other aftermarket lens I've seen or dealt with. Because donors for custom cuts are becoming scarce, and custom cut lenses are so expensive, I have been looking for an alternative and I am ecstatic that I found IKON.

But the proof is in the pudding right? Read on to see my impressions on IKONS Silver mirror, +Red, 24k, and Green colors.

-Arrival pics under artificial light:
IMG_1982_zpsphrmcxy1.jpg
IMG_1983_zps0vkptdzp.jpg
IMG_1984_zpsitonqqef.jpg

24K Gold - bronze base lens - transmission is 12%
+Red - grey base lens - transmission is 9%
Chrome - grey base lens - transmission is 11%
Green - bronze base lens - transmission 14%

OK: 1st up: +Red
Again: +Red - grey base lens - transmission is 9%

Initial Impression:
The first thing you notice obviously is the depth of the red. It is very deep. It does have a purple transition to it but not nearly as much as OEM +Red. It is very good at maintaining a deep red from all angles in my opinion. This is a breath taking lens from the outside.
From the outside:
IMG_2009_zpsrk9r0jhn.jpg
IMG_2002_zpslvxmzfqp.jpg
IMG_2001_zpsx547yerp.jpg
IMG_2003_zps27bqiblh.jpg
IMG_2004_zps3qhnuw3u.jpg
IMG_2021_zpsgzzqtydn.jpg

Now without window light coming right at it...This serves for Silver Mirror also.
IMG_1999_zpsqa21noam.jpg
IMG_1998_zpsfulmthwb.jpg

From the inside: The AR is the first thing you notice. It is there, and it's awesome.
IMG_2013_zps0llfsqht.jpg
IMG_2012_zps7iauf1hz.jpg
IMG_2011_zpstg5y6pam.jpgIMG_2010_zpskoxjwt61.jpg

Looking through:
IMG_2014_zpsz8feu76t.jpg
IMG_2020_zpszgblrpex.jpg

And the polarity is spot on.
IMG_2018_zpsdjfmbam0.jpg
IMG_2017_zpsal5ulpfw.jpg
IMG_2016_zps10ho48qz.jpg

Impression is very good. This lens is gorgeous from inside and out. No distortion at edges, no eye strain after hours of use.

See my next post for the continuation
WOW! Stunned. Not at the lenses, which I agree with you on all points! I am talking about the incredible amount of detail in the review. AWESOME!!!!

You picked up on the AR coating. I took some pictures the other day and have not got round to adding them, but your photo shows it better anyway.

Great review! i have a pair of 24K on the way for my Split Jackets and might get a + Red for my Juliets:cool:

Some more info on their base tints:
Grey Base Lens: .
+Red Mirror
Silver Mirror
Black
Rose Gold Mirror
Ice Mirror
Fire Mirror
Deep Blue (has a grey base lens but a slight green tint to it from the mirror coating, similar to a G30 lens)

Bronze Base Lens:
24K Gold Mirror
Emerald Mirror
Bronze

Asked them a while ago before ordering for the Splits

Last edited:
Somebody get them an XS frame soon. I will be most likely ordering a pair of the reds and greens for my XX..

Latest Posts

Back