• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Airwave vs Prizm Googles

MasterO

I should Work at Oakley
NJ
Hi all-

So I'm in the market for a new pair of snowboarding googles. I was thinking about the airwaves bc the heads up display and friend locator seems sick but then I got the email from oakley about the new Prizm lense. Now I'm torn between visibility and technology.

Has anyone used the airwaves? Are they as cool as they seem? I know it's hardly snowboarding season yet here on the east coast but has anyone used these new Prizm lenses?

Just looking for some opinions to help with the decision.

This was interesting to me so I looked it up and found this.

Airwave™ delivers crisp, widescreen graphics using innovative prism technology

So doesn't that cover everything.

I own the airwave and they are fantastic. They are nice large goggles and you have a lot of visibility while looking through them. The speedometer is very fun and you are always trying to beat your own records. I like the fact that you can download trail maps for different resorts you go to and the goggles have GPS tracking to show where you are on the map. I am also interested in trying the new PRIZM lenses and I hope they come out for Airwaves soon. The only gripe I have about the Airwaves is the battery life; its not terrible but it could be longer. The goggles held up well during 15 -20 mountain visits.

Slight difference your looking at airwave 1.5 I'm talking about airwaves. Difference of $350 my local vault store has them on sale.

I own the airwave and they are fantastic. They are nice large goggles and you have a lot of visibility while looking through them. The speedometer is very fun and you are always trying to beat your own records. I like the fact that you can download trail maps for different resorts you go to and the goggles have GPS tracking to show where you are on the map. I am also interested in trying the new PRIZM lenses and I hope they come out for Airwaves soon. The only gripe I have about the Airwaves is the battery life; its not terrible but it could be longer. The goggles held up well during 15 -20 mountain visits.

Hmm food for thought... Have you used the friend tracker? Does it work well?

I just got splice with Prizm lenses and like them so far. To me the HUD doesn't add much value. I get so focused on boarding that I don't remember to look... I have used airwaves once and it was cool for a minute but the novelty wore off quick. (I didn't have friend locator working though) to me not worth the price... Plus let's face it, electronics don't have the longest life span, especially if they are banging around and getting wet.

That and the solder they use is not as reliable as it could be. (I am in electronics manufacturing and know a little bit about the process).

Never going to go wrong with old school frames and lenses. And save a ton!

I believe that's not the same thing. "Prism" tech has long been in Oakley lenses and is one of the main differentiators from aftermarkets. I don't understand it fully but it provides better optical clarity by ensuring the images seen by your eyes are in proper binocular sync.

"Prizm" with a "z" is new and different. It provides contrast at a level never before achieved by being able to filter select wavelengths at a much more precise level. See the latter part of this post for a better explanation:

Oakley Prizm Lens Technology - I Wish You Guys Could Have Seen What I Saw Today! | Oakley Forum

Back