1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. Artos74

Artos74 Oakley Beginner

Allergy / Allergy to metals

Apologies if my question sounds stupid, I just want to know before buying sunglasses.

Would you know if someone with allergy to metals could wear Oakley with Iridium lenses? I am not sure since you don’t touch it like other metals, but are close to your eyes and nose. Would them cause any irritation, itchiness in nose etc. Any advice and help would be much appreciated. Thank you

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. Rustpot

Rustpot M Frame Lover Premium Member

Which metals are you allergic to?

3. Lexkempo

Lexkempo Frog Fanatic

I don't think Iridium coated lenses are actually coated with the element Iridium ... Which appears to be metal like according to Wikipedia?

4. joecool862

joecool862 Keeper of the Skull Premium Member Lifetime Member

I would discuss this with the person's allergy physician. While I doubt that they would have any trouble at all, some people's skin is extremely sensitive and it would be a good idea to talk about it with their physician. Good luck!

5. OakleyGuru379

OakleyGuru379 What is that thing?!

I think it is an aluminum oxide coating, @Rustpot would probably know better than I though. So technically, i guess it could cause an allergy?

6. Rustpot

Rustpot M Frame Lover Premium Member

"Metal" allergies are typically nickel or other heavy metals used in alloying stainless and silver. Which is why Sterling (pure) silver and titanium (no nickel like stainless) are considered hypo-allergenic.

7. OakleyGuru379

OakleyGuru379 What is that thing?!

So what is aluminum oxide, as opposed to aluminum?

8. qtrain23

qtrain23 3D Printing Protege

Aluminum oxide is a compound formed with aluminum and oxygen. Aluminum is a metal, but most aluminums you'll find are alloys.

And the coating that makes up the mirror on lenses is made up of different elements, mainly silicon, two other metals/compounds that escape me

OakleyGuru379 likes this.
  9. kronin323

kronin323 Font of Useless Knowledge Premium Member

Also the iridium is on the outside of the lenses, not the inside exposed to your eyes.

10. Artos74

Artos74 Oakley Beginner

thank you all