• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Almost Positive I Have A Minute Machine Fake

That's only the movement spacer that is plastic, the base plate is brass. Spacers are used when a movement is a different shape to the case, as here, or a different size, especially given the still ongoing vogue for stupidly oversized watches. A plastic spacer is not really a sign of cutting corners on costs, it's just a part to hold the movement in place and you'll find them in vastly more expensive watches than this too.

I agree with the posters who prefer to buy what a company is best at though - my user name probably gives away my watch collecting interest, but I would not consider buying a pair of TAG-Heuer sunglasses. By the same token, I'll stick to Oakley's sunglasses - interesting use of materials on the watches and some interesting designs but not really my bag.

well if you look closely, the internals arent scrappy in oakley watches, actually. compare the higher end watches -

1. the TB1 used a Seiko Kinetic movement, Revolutionary for the time, and deemed the reliable (and far more accurate) "automatic" watch.
2.TB2 uses a ETA 2824-2, a common swiss movement seen in IWCs and many "luxury" and repute watch brands
3. The FMJ uses the ETA Valjoux 7750, basically the "standard" in Breitlings and other top end watches.

aside from developing an in house, custom movement (which most watch companies dont do, and when they do its the $100K+ range), Oakley has kept up with the watch industry quite impressively. And the cases are what they do best - styling.

BriP said:
well if you look closely, the internals arent scrappy in oakley watches, actually. compare the higher end watches -

1. the TB1 used a Seiko Kinetic movement, Revolutionary for the time, and deemed the reliable (and far more accurate) "automatic" watch.
2.TB2 uses a ETA 2824-2, a common swiss movement seen in IWCs and many "luxury" and repute watch brands
3. The FMJ uses the ETA Valjoux 7750, basically the "standard" in Breitlings and other top end watches.

aside from developing an in house, custom movement (which most watch companies dont do, and when they do its the $100K+ range), Oakley has kept up with the watch industry quite impressively. And the cases are what they do best - styling.

Actually, i expected the tb series and fmj to have a good movement, thus the price...was not impressed with the tb2 until i saw it in person....looks way better than pics...and the feel is very nice...but to me, the other watches of oakley are like, meh...would rather get an oris or a steinhart...

Actually, i expected the tb series and fmj to have a good movement, thus the price...was not impressed with the tb2 until i saw it in person....looks way better than pics...and the feel is very nice...but to me, the other watches of oakley are like, meh...would rather get an oris or a steinhart...

well... tag heuer makes the Aquaracer which has a quartz movement, just like the cheaper Oakley watches. and the sticker price, you could buy a TB2... Aquaracer Price 300M
39 mm WAP1110.BA0831 - Luxury watches

well... tag heuer makes the Aquaracer which has a quartz movement, just like the cheaper Oakley watches. and the sticker price, you could buy a TB2... Aquaracer Price 300M
39 mm WAP1110.BA0831 - Luxury watches
did not know that (not an expert on the watches too much). good point, but mainly i look at the automatic movements. i hate having to change batteries (they leak if you leave them unchanged) so i do not look at the quartz movement for any brand....

that is why you go for a timebomb 2 ;) a proper, automatic mechanical movement.

I love Oakley to death but I don't think they are ready to do an automatic watch. If I was going to spend thousands on an automatic watch it would be a Breitling. That being said I would love to have a minute machine but the square face kills me. If it were a circular normal type face shape I would be sold sold sold because I LOVE the bracelet design and how can you argue with titanium.

I love Oakley to death but I don't think they are ready to do an automatic watch. If I was going to spend thousands on an automatic watch it would be a Breitling. That being said I would love to have a minute machine but the square face kills me. If it were a circular normal type face shape I would be sold sold sold because I LOVE the bracelet design and how can you argue with titanium.
whats not to be ready? oakley is already one heck of a design house. internals are, like most run of the mill "luxury" watch brands, picked from a selection of ETA workhorses. yes, including breitling. i much prefer oakley design over the gaudy oversize of breits. but thats my 0.02... if im missing your point please do elaborate (y)

Hey what do I know, I just know breitling has been doing it forever specializes in it and oakley just started. If oakley is using the exact same movement in the timebomb as breitling is in their watches I would be impressed. Nothing against oakley but somehow I doubt it.
I do feel that not all automatics are equal some are better than others in terms of losing time, operating temps, how often and how expensive service is, etc.
just like I would't buy a luminox deep dive or blackbird...and dude especially, especially..if they had rubber or plastic straps!
I'll grant you most breitlings are huge but some aren't and the oakley watches can be huge too mm cough.
All said I wouldn't buy an auto anyway because my dad has tons of auto watches and he is always having one or the other serviced and it's expensive. And of course if you leave them sitting for a few days they just stop. Will stick with quartz the only thing you really give up is the sweeping second hand which I will admit is awesome and almost worth all the fuss of an auto by itself.

If you have a timebomb congrats they look sick and it is the pinnacle of oakley watches

Hey what do I know, I just know breitling has been doing it forever specializes in it and oakley just started. If oakley is using the exact same movement in the timebomb as breitling is in their watches I would be impressed. Nothing against oakley but somehow I doubt it.
I do feel that not all automatics are equal some are better than others in terms of losing time, operating temps, how often and how expensive service is, etc.
just like I would't buy a luminox deep dive or blackbird...and dude especially, especially..if they had rubber or plastic straps!
I'll grant you most breitlings are huge but some aren't and the oakley watches can be huge too mm cough.
All said I wouldn't buy an auto anyway because my dad has tons of auto watches and he is always having one or the other serviced and it's expensive. And of course if you leave them sitting for a few days they just stop. Will stick with quartz the only thing you really give up is the sweeping second hand which I will admit is awesome and almost worth all the fuss of an auto by itself.

If you have a timebomb congrats they look sick and it is the pinnacle of oakley watches
What is he always getting serviced?

Back