• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Am I Missing Something?

Exr29070

Oakley Beginner
South Texas
I can't get into any Oakley other than X-Metal. I just can't. I try, I hunt the vault and main website, the local vault, SGH, and there's just nothing that separates Oakley from all the other humongous plastic monstrosities out there.

Tell me I'm not alone... Oakley's used to really stand out.

You're not alone.....I too tried other Oakleys as well...had a sweet pair of TLD Love/Hate and still couldn't pull them off. I wear Juliet's 100% of the time.

Lux bought Oakley. Lux wants $2B in profit. Gascans and Frogskins sell well. Check out the stuff in the sports line, and you'll see some of the old designs still kicking about.

Really sad. I'm a little interested in the new "x-metals" but I'm also a little worried at what crap they're going to push next. Almost embarrassed for them. The O may as well be a DG or a C or whatever **** affordable-luxury brand they have in their portfolio.

Most ex-Reps I have spoken to said that as soon as Jim left the downward spiral began. I'm not trying to start a pissing match but it seems when most originators of a company leave their original scope is lost. Sad. At least Colin is still there.

Colin Baden...a.k.a. The Mad Scientist.....responsible for designing Moon, Crater and Mars.......also cut the roof off his Hummer H1 with a torch in HQ parking lot before heading to Baja with his 2 sons.....

Colin Baden...a.k.a. The Mad Scientist.....responsible for designing Moon, Crater and Mars.......also cut the roof off his Hummer H1 with a torch in HQ parking lot before heading to Baja with his 2 sons.....

He needs to be on the design team! CEO and designer would be sweet. The CEO should have a say in everything anyways.

He needs to be on the design team! CEO and designer would be sweet. The CEO should have a say in everything anyways.

Unfortunately the CEO most of the time looks at the numbers more than the product. Unless it's to say "How can this product make these numbers bigger?"

Not saying that's how it is at Oakley, but there has been a real divergence from the brand image in the last 6 or so years, ever since the Square O came about.

Square-O is garbage. I know people here like it, and as I've said before there's nothing wrong with making some frames that make you money. But you look at the standard oval pairs and you've got Scalpel, Ten, Straight/Split/Racing/Half/Flak/Fast Jackets, Radar/M Frame, Monster Dogs, Pit Bull, Twenty. Maybe a few I can't remember at the moment.

That's still a good number of frames, and I feel like they're all pretty solid, if not a little on the boring side. Square O gets all of the artist, signature, and custom options it feels like. And depending on your face size you have one option of non-sport glasses in either rubber or non-rubber. Salpel and Ten for big heads, Pit Bull bridges big/medium, Monster Dog a little smaller and on par with the Straight Jacket, Twenty or Fives for small. Not a ton of frame options outside of Square and Sport pairs.

I would love to see them produce something along the lines of the original Romeo, Mars, OTT's & the Zero's but if & when they do you get a feeling that something would be missing with the style & no doubt they would drop into the Elite section to make them big bucks. Shame really.

Back