• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Am I Missing Something?

He needs to be on the design team! CEO and designer would be sweet. The CEO should have a say in everything anyways.

he still has a hand in designing a lot of products that are out right now. he is on the team that is credited for designing the jupiter squared, jawbone, split jacket, and c six

What's interesting is... I work in a department of two and I drive my partner nuts with all my talk of Oakley. Even she, who had never heard of Oakley until I started working at my job last September, can tell a big difference between the pairs I've shown her that I used to have like the 1.0 EJ's and Minute, and what's out today. In her words, "The new ones are nothing special like the old designs."

My wife even commented that walking up to an SGH, you could see the Oakley section from a mile away cause the colors and shapes were crazy. Now it all blends together in a gaudy plastic mess.

Yeah the Flaks are about all thats left with the SJ amd MD being deleted...I am down to 35 pair from 250-260 Thats what Lux has done for me...

I've been in Joliet at the NHRA drags all day and the only X Metal I've seen is the Juliet's on my head.....just a lot of the same...'Cans, 'Cells and 'Rigs.....an occasional Scalpel or JawBone but that's it. Where have all the X Metals gone? Such a sad reality I have a hard time accepting....the Oakley tent had nothing really.......

Hmmm. I'm not sure I'm buying into this.

I'm usually the first person to have a moan about designs, but for me only the last couple of years have been disappointing.
All the 2.0s and Squared and putting holes in ear-stems, just a bit lazy design-wise.

I think Oakley is still a distinctive recognizable brand, so I can't agree with the argument that they look the same as fashion brands. That's just bollocks. You can spot Oakleys a mile away. Times and styles change, and we need to accept it and get on with it. Some of the new styles don't suit you? Then don't buy them. Look for an older pair you do like. Or wait - cos there may be something around the corner.

Crikey. I thought I was grumpy and cynical.
Just enjoy the brand. Buy older frames (there's enough around) and get on with it.

Square-O is garbage. . . .

A fairly bold, inflammatory statement there.
And wrong.
It's just a bunch of designs you don't like.
They didn't bring Oakley down, they kept Oakley alive.

There are a bunch of designs I don't like too. So I don't buy them. Someone else might like them though. And the Oakley world keeps turning.

There were some fairly radical Square O designs. The Oil Drum, for example looks like nothing else on the market.

I really don't understand the argument here. Yes I agree that the death of the X-Metal is devastating, that goes without saying. But what are you all saying you want? For Oakley to stop moving, and just sell 1990s frames for ever? You can't just keep on selling Eye Jackets and Straight Jackets til the end of time, design has to keep moving and evolving. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they get it wrong. And the ones that don't sell get dropped.

Oakley is a business. Their designs still move with the times. In my view, the last couple of years have been shoddy, yes, but then you just plunder the past for a while until something new you like comes along.

I think, Mr Pot, your own dilemma might stem from your love of the sports frames. I agree that this hasn't moved, design-wise. But that's because they absolutely nailed the M-Frame and Radar so perfectly, so where do you go from there?

I suppose what I said about it being garbage was a bit over reaching and I should have worded it to express that I feel the Square-O line has lost a bit of the Oakley Flair in the last few years, like you're saying.

My love for the M Frame and Radar is purely out of function-based usage for those. They just simply work better in terms of fit. comfort, and protection. I recognize they're god awful designs to wear out and about I mainly use them for driving, work, and sports. No one else makes a frame that works as well and looks as good, that I have found anyway. I wear my 2010 Ten or 1996 NewFrogs because those are the only frames that look good to my eyes and fit me. I had a Batwolf that fit, I never wore it. I had a Holbrook that fit, sold it. I had Flak Jackets that fit, sold them. Most of what I own are duplicates of the 4-5 frames I wear, or pairs that just came in and are on the way out. I do wish the Ten was less clumsy though, I honestly don't think it looks that good, that and the limited choices has not inspired me to buy more of them.

But back on topic. You're right, some of the Square O has been downright wild and couldn't be more in line with the crazy and outlandishness of Oakley. But the line seems to have taken more of the focus in the last few years. I've said in another thread on this subject that I think it's great to diversify, and to sell to as many customers as they can, and to make money wherever possible. I'm also not saying I want them to simple re-release pairs from the 90's and 00's.

What I truly want is them to make the next few releases geared toward people that got into the brand because Oakley was a badass brand, tag lines about how they can stand up to shotgun blasts, skulls and fire on the stems, mad scientists making art.

Chances are it won't fit me, though.

Ironic Too small for Rustpot Too big for me Maybe we should start our own multi size shades business...I am in the middle i liked the Gascan s ok but when I look at Flaks and then at the Whitebrooks I mean Holbrooks it seems like that is what the company is emphasizing...Big Blocky square O....If I sell everything I will keep my Flaks no matter what..I am on the other end I like the Tens but way too big for me. I also dont get how they permanently remove so many custom choices so quick..the only way to get a +red SJ 2 is buy a black pair and but replacement lenses...if u want a red icon u are out of luck.I happen to like Brown frames but there are no Brown frames as options on Flaks anymore Lucky I picked up a couple a while back. Can't really see bright green or yellow being more popular but they are still there. Yes I am aware Heckuva run on sentence there Its the cold meds...
EDIT:Oh yes I went way off topic here...must have been the fever...a lot of non O stores like SGH tend to not put out crazy colors or styles so here in CT at about 8 or 9 SGH If I didnt know Oakley I would not spot them as distinctly as in years past. It may depend on the store and who they cater too. a lot of post 07 square O stuff does not scream Oakley and from the front I have seen other brands that dont look that different from a black Crankcase...

I'm usually the first person to have a moan about designs, but for me only the last couple of years have been disappointing.
All the 2.0s and Squared and putting holes in ear-stems, just a bit lazy design-wise.

I think Oakley is still a distinctive recognizable brand, so I can't agree with the argument that they look the same as fashion brands. That's just bollocks. You can spot Oakleys a mile away. Times and styles change, and we need to accept it and get on with it. Some of the new styles don't suit you? Then don't buy them. Look for an older pair you do like. Or wait - cos there may be something around the corner.

Just enjoy the brand. Buy older frames (there's enough around) and get on with it.

this. there are so many different frames and most can be had cheap enough. Theres something for everyone

A fairly bold, inflammatory statement there.
And wrong.
It's just a bunch of designs you don't like.
They didn't bring Oakley down, they kept Oakley alive.

There are a bunch of designs I don't like too. So I don't buy them. Someone else might like them though. And the Oakley world keeps turning.

There were some fairly radical Square O designs. The Oil Drum, for example looks like nothing else on the market.

I really don't understand the argument here. Yes I agree that the death of the X-Metal is devastating, that goes without saying. But what are you all saying you want? For Oakley to stop moving, and just sell 1990s frames for ever? You can't just keep on selling Eye Jackets and Straight Jackets til the end of time, design has to keep moving and evolving. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they get it wrong. And the ones that don't sell get dropped.

Oakley is a business. Their designs still move with the times. In my view, the last couple of years have been shoddy, yes, but then you just plunder the past for a while until something new you like comes along.

I think, Mr Pot, your own dilemma might stem from your love of the sports frames. I agree that this hasn't moved, design-wise. But that's because they absolutely nailed the M-Frame and Radar so perfectly, so where do you go from there?

The bold text was insightful. The purpose of the thread was to find what other people like about the new frames.

The rest ("Don't like it, don't buy it") is pretty obvious and, frankly, already occurring.

Back