• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

An Impractical Hobby?

Mizztyler91

Oakley Beginner
Columbia, MO
I've had many people tell me over the years that my Oakley hobby (lifestyle?) is "impractical." Which is weird, because I also collect drum things for my drum kit (I've played for 12 years) and drum things are much more expensive, but I never get any snide comments about that. Usually the people that tell me this don't have a hobby at all. And I'm quick to point this out to them. I'm wondering how many times all you, my fellow Oakley lovers, have been told that the hobby is impractical. What was your response?

Many people don't think of sunglasses as something that's collectible, considering how most people don't spend a lot on glasses let alone a bunch of them.

We're a rare breed but there are far more impractical things to collect IMO.

i never been told anyhting about it, but do whatever makes you happy man, thats what i think and do :)

No doubt! I don't let anyone influence what I do regarding what makes my life worth living for me :) Just wondering if anyone else has had the same kinda deal

I try to just have as many glasses as I can to go along with what I'm wearing. By no means am I a high maintenance dresser but I like the ability to choose the sunglasses I'm gonna wear based on my outfit or even my mood. Having some for more active situations versus everyday activities is also a nice benefit. Many people have one pair for everything and honestly there aren't many styles that can pull that off IMO.

Some people spend $100+ dollars on jeans or shoes so I don't think it's impractical to spend that much on something that will benefit your eyes.

Some people spend $100+ dollars on jeans or shoes so I don't think it's impractical to spend that much on something that will benefit your eyes.

Exactly, I rather spend it on something that will benefit me...instead on jeans or shoes, don't get me wrong, I like to dress. But $100 for a pair of jeans, uhh no, a suit might be understandable....

I always like to see how in the USA stuff is relatively cheap. You guys are calling $100,- for a pair of jeans a lot, but here in NL $100,- is more a common price. Man sometimes I am just jealous of you guys :p

The responses at the O hobby for me are most of the time positive. People don't hear of such a hobby very often, shut they really like it. Some individual that thinks that it is ridiculous, especially looking at the price that one pair costs already. But most of the time I explain them that they are worth it.

I have a coworker that shakes his head every time he hears I've bought another pair, another that constantly mocks me behind my back, and my little sister compares me to a woman collecting shoes...
But all the naysaying is drowned out by an almost constant stream of compliments and the joy I get when I see my collection on display. :big_boss:
Non-collectors will never understand.

My only fear is that at some point my mother will discover how much I've spent on sunglasses. I dread the disapproving head shake. :sad:

Back