• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

An Impractical Hobby?

Everyone tells me I waste money and just don't understand why I need more than one pair. I just ignore them and get another pair. Keep it rolling

Looking back at all the things I have spent large amounts of money on... race cars, my drum kit way back when, saltwater tank, etc I dont think this is too bad at all. Keep doing what you like, who cares what the others think!

I think if a person can afford it then its fine..I stupidly put myself in a position where i spent way too much too soon which is why I have sold off more than half of what I bought. It was unworn ...sometimes a second same pair that was sitting on a shelf. With benefits being stripped away at my job and a lot of job insecurity it is impractical for me. 2 summers ago when I realized our annual vacation was centering(in MY mind) abt visit to the nearest Vault I realized I had been frivolous and crossed the line-my own fault..I like keeping maybe 20-40 of the original 270 to go with different clothes but since I buy almost all Black and Brown glasses It was crazy...at one point I had 4 polished black SJ 2's(extras are gone now). I like having a clear credit card more than 200 Oakleys and just dont have the ability to have cash ike I spent on hand. I kind of thought it was negatively affecting my marriage too although unspoken...Maybe it was having never collected anything in my life that made me lose perspective...but if it makes u happy and u can pay all ur bills then its a positive thing and people shpuld not judge. People love to be negative about what other people like It makes them feel superior..all the same kids that laughed at star Wars in High School all seemed to at Revenge of the Sith as adults...struck me as ironic..people just like to pick apart and criticize when really its up to us and maybe spouse too what makes u happy.

Everyone tells me I waste money and just don't understand why I need more than one pair. I just ignore them and get another pair. Keep it rolling
Same here..
I only have 2 pairs though. Some of my friends think it's really stupid.
Although, these are the same friends that wear sunglasses from Shoppers Drug Mart.
So that says alot about their knowledge of sunglasses :p

My friends are always like "that's too much for sunglasses man" and then they go out and spend over 100$ a weekend on booze. At least I have something to show for it.

I get similar reactions. "Why do you need another pair of glasses?"

Same thing when a new gun comes home to join the collection of those.

In fact, I'm probably picking up a new shotgun on Monday.

I get that a lot, but it all comes down to doing what you like. Also, if you compare it to other 'acceptable' hobbies like model building, or stamp collecting, they're equally as impractical.

I get that a lot, but it all comes down to doing what you like. Also, if you compare it to other 'acceptable' hobbies like model building, or stamp collecting, they're equally as impractical.

I'd say those are more impractical. Glasses can be worn, stamps are more like mini-art that most collectors put in a book. Model building is something entirely different since it's usually about the attention to detail and the slow method of building.

Latest Posts

Back