1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. subysti2007

subysti2007 Oakley Enthusiast Premium Member

i got a pretty beat up romeo frame and i am thinking of polishing it or do an anodizing process. i have spoken to a company here in northern california who does anodizing and they said they can probably do it on the romeo frame for $75...let me know what you guys think? :smile:

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. bad fishy

bad fishy Oakley Expert

What color? That would be sick. You could always polish them if you didn't like the look.

3. subysti2007

Blackor pewter

4. Uluahunter

Uluahunter Oakley Collector

I read somewhere here that you'd need a virgin frame in order to properly/successfully anodize the x-metal. Something about any traces of foreign matter on the frames will cause a failure in the process, even a good cleaning and prep wouldn't suffice. I could be mistaken though...

5. qtrain23

qtrain23 3D Printing Protege

They dip them in acid first. I think They'll be pretty clean

6. qtrain23

Cleared my pms

7. dr.chop

dr.chop Oakley Expert

No dice on anodizing X Metal. I spoke with my anodizer I use for my paintball gear, and he told me Titanium has to be pretty much straight Titanium, no alloys. He said he tried a pair in the past for another guy and they basically corrode like rust in the process. Powdercoat is the way to go...Keep saying it, only thing stopping me is a damn curing oven. Once I get one, it's on! And no, acid dipping is NOT the same as a virgin metal. My paintball gun was originally "dust" orange, or Matte orange. I took it in, they dipped it, and then did the hot pink on it I asked for. It was blotchy bad...To the point it was ugly as hell. I had to have them strip it, sand it, and then polish it to take it to a clean metal layer. Then, it was SICK!!! but X Metal is an alloy of several metals, and it just won't be right. It will look like rust.

8. FearGearGarage

FearGearGarage Oakley Collector

Suby, you can have the first and only pair of rusty ass looking Romeos out there...lol

I say powder coat also, Black Carbon style with Fire lenses....

9. qtrain23

It seems like everyone on here played paintball

10. subysti2007

powder coat might be too thick dont you think so? i read on the website that titanium can also be anodized..but i will take your word for it...i will ask the guys who does powder coat and see if they can do carbon black..thanks