• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Anodizing X-Metals by XMC optics

Congratulations on some very cool work! Makes me want to buy a donor pair of X metals to try this out.

Just as a reminder for donor frames: However the finish is on the frame, scratches, marks, dings, cuts, etc.... that is exactly what you will get back. The Anodizing process does not change the finish whatsoever, it only changes the oxide layer color that is a by product of Ti. If we heavily etch the frame, that will diminish or eliminate some of the lighter stuff though. But that changes the base finish type to silver or matte grey. Just wanted to help explain some of this, due to many questions. It is a truly unique process

Just as a reminder for donor frames: However the finish is on the frame, scratches, marks, dings, cuts, etc.... that is exactly what you will get back. The Anodizing process does not change the finish whatsoever, it only changes the oxide layer color that is a by product of Ti. If we heavily etch the frame, that will diminish or eliminate some of the lighter stuff though. But that changes the base finish type to silver or matte grey. Just wanted to help explain some of this, due to many questions. It is a truly unique process
Thanks for the reminder, I have played around with anodising aluminium in the past. But I recognise that this is a completely different level!

As an old customer said to me once, you can't make a silk purse out of a pigs ear. :)

I had the chance to see most of the pairs that have been pictured here and in the exchange threads and I'll say that they look even better in person. Where they appear that the color is splotchy and the texture rough they are actually contrary. It's hard to see these aspects in pics.

Here is my personal frame that I absolutely enjoy!!!!! Plasma finish non etched orbitals w/ Copper Plasma non etched ear stems and nose
View attachment 132068 View attachment 132069 View attachment 132070 View attachment 132071 View attachment 132072 View attachment 132073

i will go ahead and apologize for my lack of intelligence on the subject, and also apologize if you´ve already addressed it, but i have a question:

why does it look like the coating or the finish is peeling and/or scratched ??

the pictures in this attachment look gross to me - but then again, i´m not familiar with the coating you´re using for these frames, so it may be normal HAHA !!!

i´ve also looked at some other pics you´ve posted (the purple and silver frames) and they look terrible...well, the coating itself looks terrible...

can you shed some light on my confusion please :)

i will go ahead and apologize for my lack of intelligence on the subject, and also apologize if you´ve already addressed it, but i have a question:

why does it look like the coating or the finish is peeling and/or scratched ??

the pictures in this attachment look gross to me - but then again, i´m not familiar with the coating you´re using for these frames, so it may be normal HAHA !!!

i´ve also looked at some other pics you´ve posted (the purple and silver frames) and they look terrible...well, the coating itself looks terrible...

can you shed some light on my confusion please :)

1. Why does it look like the coating or finish is peeling or scratched?
Answer: Well the Plasma Copper combination that you have quoted above your question doesn't have any areas that look like peeling or scratching. Its Plasma factory finish that was anodized Copper on the arms and Nose. The rest is factory Plasma. So your question doesn't make any sense for this frame. You need to be way more specific and if your talking about a different frame then specify so the question can be addressed.

2. "the pictures in this attachment look gross to me - but then again, i´m not familiar with the coating you´re using for these frames, so it may be normal HAHA !!!"

Answer: Here you are specifying the Copper/Plasma frame. Its not a coating and what about the pictures (Plasma orbitals and Copper Arms and Nose) is gross to you. I think Angelina Jolie is a nasty looking woman, so gross may be relative to a specific color or look that you don't like. You don't explain why. The finish on the arms and nose is smooth and consistent and if your first question applies to this frame where do you see anything that looks like peeling or scratches on the Copper Plasma frame. I think you are confusing several frames together with your questions and comments.

3. " i´ve also looked at some other pics you´ve posted (the purple and silver frames) and they look terrible...well, the coating itself looks terrible..."

Answer: Again its not a Coating. I am changing the oxide layer of the Ti which is normally an invisible clear, on a molecular level to a specified color within a certain range. This is not to be confused with etching of Ti. The oxide layer on Factory finishes is already there, we are just taking it from a clear, to a color. So again, it is transparent. Your eyes see light bouncing off both the surface area of the finish of the frame (which is underneath the oxide layer) and light bouncing off the oxide layer and that gives you the color. Pending lighting angles this can be stronger or lighter color. However the oxide layer stays the same all the time. Same thing scientifically when you look at a transparent lens that has color, at some angles you can see your eyes (well someone else can) and at other angles all they see is the mirror coating. Same lens, same mirror just different angles allow different transparencies. This has been all covered consistently throughout this thread. Please read and you will find the answers were it was covered.

Questions about Anodizing: Plenty of examples have been shown of the different types of frames finishes. IF after reading the whole thread there are still more questions please ask them. However make sure you don't ask questions that have already been addressed in previous posts. Also when asking questions be specific about what you are asking about with examples of the parts in questions. I cannot answer opinions " I think there gross". If you want something to be addressed please say what or why you think they are gross. Then that can be addressed. Thanks in advance.

A link pointing to a video of your works would address some of the photography issues

1. Why does it look like the coating or finish is peeling or scratched?
Answer: Well the Plasma Copper combination that you have quoted above your question doesn't have any areas that look like peeling or scratching. Its Plasma factory finish that was anodized Copper on the arms and Nose. The rest is factory Plasma.
the areas highlighted in red look gross to me - like it´s scratched or peeling......is that "just the way the picture was taken" !?!?

IMG_1504.JPG
IMG_1503.JPG

3. " i´ve also looked at some other pics you´ve posted (the purple and silver frames) and they look terrible...well, the coating itself looks terrible..."
Answer: Again its not a Coating. I am changing the oxide layer of the Ti which is normally an invisible clear, on a molecular level to a specified color within a certain range.
ok, that makes perfect sense.....

I think those are scratches already on the frame. The anodizing process doesn't affect scratches on the frame.
that´s a reasonable explanation...

hard to believe that IH´s comments about that particular set was "Well the Plasma Copper combination that you have quoted above your question doesn't have any areas that look like peeling or scratching."

those are clear imperfections all over that frame, but after his post, i realize that he didn´t even anodize that part of the frame so they HAVE to be scratches in the original plasma.....

i just wanted confirmation that i wasn´t high on cocaine or anything...

Back