• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Another new 'New' Frogskin

Rustpot

M Frame Lover
Clarkston/Romeo MI
This makes 3 for me, with a grand total of 15 pairs. I love the NewFrog, just wish these were gray polarized instead of standard grey.

The Square Whisker and Carbon Fiber Radar are new as well, but didn't get a dedicated thread. I don't think anything else is new.

IMG_0923.jpg

IMG_0921.jpg

IMG_0925.jpg

IMG_0928.jpg

And the collection - Missing one M Frame 2.0 that stays in my desk at work.
IMG_0932.jpg

I remember when these originally came out I was in my teens and curved wrap around frames were all the rage. I didn't like them then but ever since you've started to post about them I've seen them in a different light and like them. It's just a shame they had to be called New Frogskins because I feel like I'm being disloyal to the Frogskins for liking them. The tortoise look nice. The new Koston Frogskins will be tortoise but from what I've seen it one be as nice a tortoise as the ones you have.

I must say I'm liking the new Frogskins you have there Rustpot. Love the black & the Torts ones. So were these the second gen froggies?

Yes and no. There are 2nd gen Frog's, which essentially look just the same as the Japan metal hinged and the current collectors Frog's of today, with a few subtle differences. Then there are these glasses, called the "New Frogskin". Probably made to replace the OG Frogskins. I'm not sure which came first though between 2nd Gen Frogs and the "New Frogskin"

Yes and no. There are 2nd gen Frog's, which essentially look just the same as the Japan metal hinged and the current collectors Frog's of today, with a few subtle differences. Then there are these glasses, called the "New Frogskin". Probably made to replace the OG Frogskins. I'm not sure which came first though between 2nd Gen Frogs and the "New Frogskin"

Thanks for that, thought there had only been the two called Frogskin & they were pretty similar in design. These New Frogskin look total different but I must say I do like them. Don't see many posted were they not that popular?

Interestingly, these are called "New" Frogskins on O-Review, but they're actually named Frogskin, singular, and the classic style once-old-now-new-again frames are Frogskins, plural.

Gen 1 Frogskins came out in 1985 and were replaced with Gen 2 in 1990. The Gen 2 Frogskins was stopped around '95-'96, and the Frogskin (New Frogskins) was introduced in late 1996. From O-Review only a few colorways lasted more than a few years, and the glasses were fully dead by '03-'04. Frogskins were reintroduced in '07 and are "Collectors Frogskins" on O-Review.

I would imagine the frames being the older brittle plastic didn't help with sales after frames came out in O-Matter in '99. No rubber and very wide temples probably made them not fit securely on medium or small faces either.

I more or less stumbled on these in a search for an older wrap/jacket style that fit larger than the Eye and Straight Jacket. I love the style of the Fives 1 and 2, but they're much too small for me to wear. So these work pretty good and are pretty similar to the Four, Five, and Ten from the late 90's, with the 10 being the big disappointment of the group.

Those are nice. The name "Frogskin" has in itself always turned me off, but I'm even digging the tortoise, which I have never liked before!

Those are nice. The name "Frogskin" has in itself always turned me off, but I'm even digging the tortoise, which I have never liked before!

I'm not much of a fan of tortoise either. I bought the frame with thoughts of keeping the lenses as spares, or getting them painted depeding on the condition of everything. They turned out to be a bit more pleasant than anticipated, and I've worn them out a few times. Gold still isn't my favorite lens, but it works well enough.

IMG_4714.JPG
IMG_4704.JPG
IMG_4704.JPG
I read this thread with great interest... I forgot I had a pair of these Frogskins tucked away... They're in amazing condition and no longer required... If anyone's interested let me know... Thanks.

Back