• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Any Comic Readers?

Rustpot

M Frame Lover
Clarkston/Romeo MI
Is anyone else reading comics (specifically graphic novels)? I used to read comics as a kid, kind of let it fall out after not too long. I need to get to my parents' house and see if I still have an old stash somewhere. Anyway, I decided to rekindle it with a trio of Batman books - Year One, The Killing Joke, and Dark Knight Returns.

I started reading them in that order. I have to say that although the first two were fine books and quite nice, I finished both in quite a short amount of time. They felt more like long comics vs graphic novels. I have to say I'm almost disappointed with them.

I'm not very far into DKR, but holy man this feels like what I was looking for. The story is moving slower, and I feel much more engaged and drawn in. I've watched the two-part animated movie so I know what's up, but I'm still turning the pages with anticipation, and stopping to draw in the art, with its almost expressionistic style.

I need more of this. I need books where the story isn't spoiled for me. Who's got suggestions?

You should try the preacher series from Garth Ennis. You could also try with the sandman series. They are not graphic novels but all of them are ended by now.

DKR is the classic graphic novel. I know why you are enjoying it so much. I really liked The Killing Joke, but I see what you mean about it felling like a just long comic book. Still it has a lot going on in it. "Hey! I have my flashlight with me!"

Since you like DKR by Frank Miller, you may enjoy 300 and Sin City by him also. And as Dardonardo said, you may want to give Preacher a try. You can find them in trade paperbacks now, so them feel like a graphic novel.

The Walking Dead is one that I recommend to everyone that I know. Again, buy the trade paperbacks and you will read one after another. The bad thing is that it is still going on, so there is not an ending point to it yet.

Killing joke and DKR are some great starters.

Personally i will suggest the following..

Batman: Arkham unhinged vol 1 and 2.

The new 52: Batman

Moonknight: the bottom vol 1 and 2. Twisted but good.

Currently reading Nova by Jeph Loeb.

The Sandman and Lucifer series are both amazing. ESPECIALLY the Sandman and Lucifer ones.

I ended up with Watchmen, Judge Dredd Case Files 01, and Daredevil Born Again for this go 'round.

I have about 30 more in my Amazon list that I'll be adding as I finish this set.

If you are looking for something not in the superhero vein then check out Maus.

Watchmen is a great read too. Best to read it at least a couple times too to get everything out of it. I picked up the Absolute version of it at New York Comic Con a while back.

watchmen_absolute1_zpse16f2c10.jpg

You could check some of Will Eisner books, like A Contract With Gawd. Or some 70s authors like Richard Corben, or anything from Moebius. A good manga is Lone Wolf and Cub, a manga about a Ronin and his son. Talking about ronins, Frank Miller has a graphic novel called Ronin which is also very good :)

Latest Posts

Back