1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. sunglassfiend

sunglassfiend Oakley Enthusiast Premium Member

I just started getting into X-Metals and I really love the more wild pairs; Medusa's, OTT's, Mars etc, unfortunately for my wallet! ;)

Right now the hardest part I have, is knowing whats real and whats fake, I've been looking on ebay at Mars, and came across 2 auctions. Both are for Mars, one currently has 10 bids and is $600, the other has 0 bids and is $600. Because the one had 0 bids, I assumed it must be fake, but I can't find the difference between the two.

Can anyone tell me if it is fake, and if it is, how they know?!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARS-Michae...61323466?pt=US_Sunglasses&hash=item3a805788ca

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Michea...886?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ac3ae3cee

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. nalong86

nalong86 Oakley Beginner

Both look real to me. Biggest difference I see is the condition. The pair with bids looks to be in excellent condition while the pair without any bids looks rough. Notice how the leather is all nappy and rugged on the pair without bids. That was common for the leather to deteriorate when they were used. The condition, especially on a more desired pair among collectors such as the leather mars, will make a big difference in the value of the item.

3. mercbezerk

mercbezerk Unicorn Chaser Premium Member Lifetime Member

You'll be better off bidding on the pair that has no other takers and then hit qtrain23 (forum member & mars guru) up to replace the leather for you.

Neither one is fake. One is just better preserved than the other.

qtrain23 and OakleyGuru379 like this.
  4. xmetalmaniac

xmetalmaniac Made of Metal Premium Member Lifetime Member

I agree with nalong. But if your gonna invest in one get one with decent to new leather on it.... Replacing the leather will decrease the value

5. qtrain23

qtrain23 3D Printing Protege

Agreed. If you want a show piece, buy it that way.

If you want one to wear, buy a crater and wrap it to save some coin

6. atty_65

atty_65 Oakley magician Premium Member

Q is it a good idea if you might want to sell a custom wrapping set with all its components, so we can do the fun and do it ourselves? Will this be cost effective than buying the whole range of thread and cloth altogether? just a thought.

7. qtrain23

qtrain23 3D Printing Protege

It's not really so simple as to be sold as a kit tho. Not everything fits perfect everyone and its not as straight foreward as placing a few stitches.

8. atty_65

atty_65 Oakley magician Premium Member

ok i understand, im a fan of mars but the effort and time you spend on them doing your custom i cannot replicate...i might need a big push...not at the moment...