1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. kaanan

kaanan Oakley Beginner

Any info on the current state of x-metal? And what comes next?

I've recently read that Oakley discontinued the line. When I heard the news, my stomach twisted.

If I had the $$$ I'd run out and buy a pair of XS.

I've done all the reading I can, and haven't found out what Oakley has up their sleeves after x-metal. Anybody have any more info? I see they are expanding carbon fiber in their frames, both prescription and sunglasses.

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. Oakster

Oakster Oakley Expert Premium Member Lifetime Member

New x metal in spring of 2014, so knowing how things go, I'd say summer 2014.

3. kaanan

kaanan Oakley Beginner

Where do you people get your info? The internet seems completely devoid.

4. OakleyFrankFMJ

OakleyFrankFMJ The Legend - - Vlad the Impaler Premium Member Lifetime Member

Crystal ball. :laugh:

5. kaanan

kaanan Oakley Beginner

I sure hope it's right.

Some say the new x metal won't be a titanium alloy anymore, any truth to that?

6. OBlazer

OBlazer Oakley Enthusiast

From what I understand, Elite products will be more Carbon Fiber based and less titanium based in the future

7. V2oak

V2oak Oakley Man from Manila

I recently called in Oakley customer service to ask for a tune up and I ask them what happened to the x metal line and why are they stopping the production. They said that the Nevada plant has been shut down and they were relocating somewhere and they will be back with new X Metal line. And he said as of now just hold on to your stuff because no one really knows if they were going to re-release some of the line or make a new design.

8. Oakley-olic

Oakley-olic Oakley Expert Premium Member Lifetime Member

The plant was in Nevada. Many of the newer Oakley employees know very little about the X metal line and its all just rumors. X Metals are gone but not forgotten. They had a great life, may they RIP on the shelves and nose's of those that have them.

9. Yeti

Yeti Frostmonkey Staff Member Premium Member

That's what I was told as well. It was supposed to be this spring but got pushed.

10. kaanan

kaanan Oakley Beginner

Not much affects me emotionally, but this hurts. The x metal line was a big part of the formative years of my life. Sad really.

This would be another nail in the coffin for me, with Oakley post Jim.

How much longer do you think Oakley will be selling the SX on their website?