• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Anyone else hate vented lenses ?

like 90% of Oakley users......;)
care to back up that figure with any factual data?

Performance eyewear is designed for athletes, not the average Joe.

Oakley makes plenty of eyewear for casual wear, and IMO they shouldn't care what non-athletes think of their performance eyewear.

care to back up that figure with any factual data?

Performance eyewear is designed for athletes, not the average Joe.

Oakley makes plenty of eyewear for casual wear, and IMO they shouldn't care what non-athletes think of their performance eyewear.
Except that the vast majority of the customer base is not performance athletes. A large portion may wear the eyewear during activities (beer league softball, golf, sand volleyball league, etc.), but they are also likely to wear it for other times such as general driving, hanging out at a park or beach, coaching, etc. Vented lenses is sure to turn off many of those casual wearers or people who want a versatile option (after all, I'm guessing most people only have one pair of glasses, not the dozens like most of us); alienating a large portion of your customer base by not offering non-vented options just because you want a certain pair seen as "performance" doesn't make any sense to me.

Except that the vast majority of the customer base is not performance athletes. A large portion may wear the eyewear during activities (beer league softball, golf, sand volleyball league, etc.), but they are also likely to wear it for other times such as general driving, hanging out at a park or beach, coaching, etc. Vented lenses is sure to turn off many of those casual wearers or people who want a versatile option (after all, I'm guessing most people only have one pair of glasses, not the dozens like most of us); alienating a large portion of your customer base by not offering non-vented options just because you want a certain pair seen as "performance" doesn't make any sense to me.
It's really simple.

Performance Eyewear is designed purely for performance.

The new vented lenses are far better than the old ones. The vents are almost unnoticeable when in use, but they seem to work much better than in the past.

Honestly, before you lament the vents on the new styles, I suggest you give them a try. Oakley has a 90 day return policy. Try them, and if you aren't satisfied, return or exchange them.

It's really simple.

The new vented lenses are far better than the old ones. The vents are almost unnoticeable when in use, but they seem to work much better than in the past.
I agree with that sentiment on the EV and Jawbreaker.

But the Racing Jacket I think is where most of this sentiment is coming from. M Frame, Radar, Radarlock, all had vented or non-vented options. The RJ didn't for the most part.

The Racing Jacket is on its last legs.

On the Radar/Radarlocks, the vents are functional, but I'm not a fan of their placement either.

I hope people give the new ones a chance before they hate them.

No I like the performance AND look of vented lenses. When I first got them and I noticed the light coming in the holes thru vented split jacket lenses I was like that sucks, but then I quickly noticed it was not really annoying me and certainly not affecting the performance of the lens.

So at first I thought, hmm, maybe vented lenses look too sporty for when I am not playing sports. I have been through at least 15 differenet lenses for split jacket, racing jacket/jawbone (some vented and some not) and you know what in my opinion the vented ones just look snappier, yes more aggressive but also nicer overall.

In terms of performance (for cycling), at least for racing jacket and split jacket, the vented is a no-brainer. While the vents do not eliminate fogging entirely, they help a ton compared to the non-vented lenses.

It's really simple.

So Radarlock EV is only for biking ? other sports don´t require 3 or 4 vents imo........also looks pretty bad on jawbreaker and EV, like the lenses don´t fit the frame........that is of course only an opinion

So Radarlock EV is only for biking ? other sports don´t require 3 or 4 vents imo........also looks pretty bad on jawbreaker and EV, like the lenses don´t fit the frame........that is of course only an opinion

Opinion of aesthetic, yes it may not look universally appealing, but in regard to actual design the frame was shaped accordingly to the vent locations. As seen in the Jawbreaker pic below there is an intentional flat surface where the vent is placed; a break from the slotted profile that holds the lenses. Also note this is where the frame profile rises, making the vents less obtrusive in use. This is a similar case on the bottom vents too. They're real steps up in functional detail, and being aware of that, vents undeniably "fit" the frame.

However I wouldn't agree with the opposite notion that certain pairs should be accepted to have singular purposes and therefore rule out the option of non-vented lenses. Open-faced motorcycle riders, boat crew, and so on could totally make use of sports pairs favorably if such lens options exist.
20150413_000211_HDR~2.jpg

However I wouldn't agree with the opposite notion that certain pairs should be accepted to have singular purposes and therefore rule out the option of non-vented lenses. Open-faced motorcycle riders, boat crew, and so on could totally make use of sports pairs favorably if such lens options exist.
View attachment 144544
it's okay if you don't agree, but that doesn't change the fact that some models were designed with a specific purpose.

I'm glad the Jawbreaker has some vents that might annoy the casual wearer. I don't want to wear the same eyewear as everyone else, and I love the fact that it was designed for cyclists needs only.

Latest Posts

Back