• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Anyone else like to gamble?

BHarry

The Eclectic Collector
Northern Nevada
This was one of the times when you have to choose, do you wait for more information (and the price to climb) or buy it now? Well, I usually choose buy it now... and this was no different.

They were called Juliets in the listing and they obviously were not. The question was WTF is up with the nosebridge? They were listed as new, but the loose looking/discolored nosebridge was definitely off. It looked like a strange color in the pics, but some plasma pics look funny and how bad could it be?

Well, they are not beat up, but the nose looks almost copper. It is just the nosebridge and the unobtanium inside is deteriorating .I don't think they were worn much, but where were these stored ?!?

Regardless, I am excited to have a Plasma XX. The question is, do I try to have it fixed or leave it? I actually kind of like the look, but they would look amazing if the finish was able to be restored...:idk: Decisions, decisions!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:
What? That gold can't be from wear, can it? Surely you picked up a custom piece and the seller didn't realize?

Since these were thought by the seller to be Juliets, I'm assuming you picked these up cheap! So whether a weirdly discolored XP or a custom XP/24K hybrid, seems like you did the right thing in 'buying now' ;-)

What? That gold can't be from wear, can it? Surely you picked up a custom piece and the seller didn't realize?

Since these were thought by the seller to be Juliets, I'm assuming you picked these up cheap! So whether a weirdly discolored XP or a custom XP/24K hybrid, seems like you did the right thing in 'buying now' ;-)

Thank you, I think I made the right decision because they were much cheaper than I have seen any plasma XX. The reason I think the bridge is discolored is because the back side is not the same copper color. I also have a discolored R2, but it is across the whole front of the frame, not just one isolated section. Strange for sure:crazy:.

The discoloration is definitely strange. I have not seen plasma turn that color; especially isolated in only one area. The serial number on the arm is a plus. That is a difficult decision. I don't think anyone would want a discolored plasma XX, but I could be wrong. If you refinish it (I probably would) then I would keep the serial number visible.

The discoloration is definitely strange. I have not seen plasma turn that color; especially isolated in only one area. The serial number on the arm is a plus. That is a difficult decision. I don't think anyone would want a discolored plasma XX, but I could be wrong. If you refinish it (I probably would) then I would keep the serial number visible.
I've seen some posts from a few members who have removed the "yellowing" from a plasma frame and I think I would try that route first, if I decide to restore it. I just haven't seen anything like this. @jdd32 @Ry.1982 what do you think?

Yea i can fix it. This is nothing compared to other restoration jobs
Good to know, I will keep that in mind. I have a few other things going at the moment, but I am glad to know it can be fixed when the time comes. Thank you for the response.

As for what happened, more than likely they were tuned up previously and the original bridge got smashed. A replacement bridge was issued and being from a different batch of xmetal pour, that different batch by chance was relatively more susceptible to tarnish. Hence your xx has this odd uneven tarnish compared to the other parts. Some plasma batches tarnish more easily than others

Latest Posts

Back