• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Anyone Ever Consider Selling It All?

Ive been collecting for a number of years. currently close to 300. I go through waves where I wont buy for months, then Ill grab a few and get totally consumed. Unfortunately mine are all on display in my office so its a constant reminder. Every time I think about a new toy or more home remodel, the thought of purging comes to mind. I play out the ebay/paypal scenario in my head. The hassle of lowballers and effort to sell stuff reels me back in

To +1 x-man a little bit, personally I don't sell off a collection when I move on to something else (perhaps I'm a bit of a hoarder). I don't consider my collections as assets to liquidate and fund the next big thing. If I got into some sort of dire-needs emergency where I have no other choice, that would be different, but it hasn't happened yet (knock on wood).

Even if something else moves to the top of my list, the affection for the previous thing is still there, and I tend to come back around to things over time. It helps when they are things that get used / serve a useful purpose, as are Oaks...

So, in agreement with x-man and others who've expressed similar sentiments, my recommendation is if you need a break, take it, find something else, but hang on to what you've got if you can. If it's causing you frustration, it'll pass with time.

Every time I think about a new toy or more home remodel, the thought of purging comes to mind. I play out the ebay/paypal scenario in my head. The hassle of lowballers and effort to sell stuff reels me back in
Amen...

Ive been collecting for a number of years. currently close to 300. I go through waves where I wont buy for months, then Ill grab a few and get totally consumed. Unfortunately mine are all on display in my office so its a constant reminder. Every time I think about a new toy or more home remodel, the thought of purging comes to mind. I play out the ebay/paypal scenario in my head. The hassle of lowballers and effort to sell stuff reels me back in

No.
Are you feeling this way because you can't justify spending what these "grails" are fetching? Or because you can't find what you want when you want? I ask because it leads me to ask: what fun would this be as a hobby if you could just go out and buy these rarer pieces? Isn't the thrill of the chase part of the "fun" of collecting anything?
The sh*t that I just go out and buy I find means very little to me. If it were easy anyone could do it. The stuff that takes time, effort (mental or physical), tenacity, creativity and more is the stuff that I find that I enjoy the most, appreciate the most and take the best care of.
If its about the bandwidth that being a hard-core collector in this hobby seems to require well that is something that you are able to throttle back. Turn the knob from "obsession" back to "hobby". I know you're a guy with a lot of self-discipline!

Couldn't agree more , there would be no hobby or interest if you could walk down to the shops and buy any model you wanted at any time.

I've felt the same way so I sometimes take a break and see if I'm still interested in a few months and so far, each time I've gained a renewed interest. Good luck with your decision.

I have chimed in on several of these types of threads. We all come to some point like this in every aspect of our life. The difference here is to enjoy your collecting hobby, but don't let the hobby collect or rather I say consume you. All to often members come on here either with deep pockets or just making ends meet and buy, buy, buy till its no longer fun. At that point they ask themselves where do I go from here, what's the next hard to get item, this isn't really fun any more and get bored.

I am sure many of us have collected stuff in the past and then we got burned out on it. Don't let the hobby run you. Who cares whether you have 10 Ichiro frames with serial matched boxes. At the end of the day it doesn't matter.
well said sir :bigboss:

Back