1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. N Jenner

N Jenner Oakley Enthusiast

Just wondering if anyone has experimented with heat coloring x metal frames with a torch? I'm not exactly sure what percentage of titanium is in the frames but pure titanium will take on color ranging from deep blue to an almost reddish orange depending on the amount of heat applied with a torch. I've used this method on custom knife parts and sheath clips but don't want to disassemble a pair only to find out the alloy won't take color well.

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. N Jenner

Can a mod please move this. For some reason this ended up in the wrong section

3. Wicked

Wicked Oakley Expert Premium Member

Yes someone here did...there is a thread about it but no idea what to search to find it.

4. Wicked

kronin323 and OakleyFrankFMJ like this.
  5. N Jenner

Thanks I'll have to do some more searching, is there any way I can move the thread or is that only an option for the mods? Don't know why it ended up here but I hate making work for people lol

6. Wicked

Report the thread and say wrong section and to delete ours useless posts too, lol.

7. OakleyFrankFMJ

OakleyFrankFMJ The Legend - - Vlad the Impaler Premium Member Lifetime Member

:rofl:

8. Ch3no2

Ch3no2 Oakley Beginner

Here is what heating looks like on the Ti part of a PB II. Not a great picture, looks better in person.

Anyone ever heat color x metal frames? - IMG_0175.jpg

9. zwc0442

zwc0442 Oakley Expert Premium Member

Similar results can be done by anodizing. Although the colors are more consistently controlled. I've done a fair bit of anodizing if wanna see some other colors titanium will go.

Some of my work I've done.

VolcanOG likes this.