• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Anyone fly drones?

Quite interesting... impressive specs, too...

But what happens if it gets out of range of the transmitter? Transmitter range is 2km / 1.25 miles, with unobstructed view. With a top speed of almost 50 mph (22m/s), it could be out of range in less than two minutes...

And the max altitude is 4500m, which is almost three miles, more that twice the transmitter range; you could get out of range going straight up...
These machines have a lot of tech in them for the price. If you go out of range it will just stop, hover, then climb to a programmed altitude (to clear trees, buildings, mountains) and return and land automatically. At anytime you can take over control when back in range.

These machines have a lot of tech in them for the price. If you go out of range it will just stop, hover, then climb to a programmed altitude (to clear trees, buildings, mountains) and return and land automatically. At anytime you can take over control when back in range.
I'm not too far from a Naval base..... I wonder how well that would go over. :hunter::acute:

Yeah I see it has a "return home" function that can be manually triggered, presumably it could trigger automatically if out of range but they didn't mention that anywhere I saw... plus it's dependent on a good GPS signal, which can't be guaranteed...

Also their "fly safe" page has guidelines like:

"Fly within line of sight" - that would be less than 1.25 miles, presumably...

"Keep to safe altitudes, 400' or less" - how can I film a head-on shot of oncoming aircraft if I don't go above 400'?!?

"Don't drink and fly" - but then how can I pretend to be an airline pilot?!?

and others...

They need to make a Stealth version so we can get around all these pesky regulations...

Absolutely love my TBS Gemini:

Also picked up a Phantom 3 Advanced to replace my FlameWheel 450 for filming. Outstanding piece of kit, I've never been a big DJI fan, but for a purpose built piece of tech, they pretty much nailed this one.

Just getting into racing. My dad has a hobby shop so parts are easy to get. Now to get a few more people interested. Getting a nano qx Fpv this weekend, and converting my other nano qx over to a full race Fpv version by the end of the month hopefully.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442326064.523037.jpg

Back