• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Anyone have experience of Oakley damaging their X-metal?

saulsaul

I am Jim Jannard...
Tokyo
Just received a pair of Juliets back from Oakley (Japan). They did a bridge tune. Great service - sent it in and came back to me two days later (same day work). BUT, there's a tiny, tiny hole-like imperfection in the frame, above the right lens. Almost looks like damage done by a tool used to hold or stabilize the sunglasses during the work.

Has anyoone else experienced this?
Do you think think there's any recourse or action?

They must get dodgy people make claims like this but I'm sure this damage wasn't there before the bridge tune. Dear oh dear.

Advice? Experiences? Consolation messages?

(I know any average sunglass wearer wouldn't care - but this is a Juliet frame, part of my collection!!)

Consolation Messages: Sorry to hear that - there may be average sunglass wearers but there is no such thing as an average Juliet :cool:

Experiences: I have had two pairs returned to me with what I can only reason to be marks from some sort of vise or retaining device while being serviced by Oakley. Neither major, but were flawless frames returned to me flawed :( I reported them and neither time did Oakley acknowledge it. One of the pairs had a stuck screw so I suppose the extra grip/force needed for that pair makes it more likely to leave a mark... though I have gotten similar out since on my own without such damage.

Advice: Always take pictures before sending your sunnies out, preferably next to something with a verifiable date on it to help prove the item condition when it leaves you - it could help despite repudiation or denial by whoever receives it. Wear them until you cannot - they call them flex couplers for a reason. When you need to tune them up know your options beyond Oakley, maybe even learn to do the simple things yourself ;)

Consolation Messages: Sorry to hear that - there may be average sunglass wearers but there is no such thing as an average Juliet :cool:

Experiences: I have had two pairs returned to me with what I can only reason to be marks from some sort of vise or retaining device while being serviced by Oakley. Neither major, but were flawless frames returned to me flawed :( I reported them and neither time did Oakley acknowledge it. One of the pairs had a stuck screw so I suppose the extra grip/force needed for that pair makes it more likely to leave a mark... though I have gotten similar out since on my own without such damage.

Advice: Always take pictures before sending your sunnies out, preferably next to something with a verifiable date on it to help prove the item condition when it leaves you - it could help despite repudiation or denial by whoever receives it. Wear them until you cannot - they call them flex couplers for a reason. When you need to tune them up know your options beyond Oakley, maybe even learn to do the simple things yourself ;)

Some good advice there. I just find it somewhat disappointing that a company takes such great care in producing the product, but then let's itself down in repairing that product. They've asked me to send back the Juliet so they can assess for themselves whether they were responsible. I don't have a 'before' picture and anyway the damage is so small, it's almost impossible to photograph in focus (without the right lens). Will see what happens but not hoping foranything other than a denial or an apology at best.

Some good advice there. I just find it somewhat disappointing that a company takes such great care in producing the product, but then let's itself down in repairing that product. They've asked me to send back the Juliet so they can assess for themselves whether they were responsible. I don't have a 'before' picture and anyway the damage is so small, it's almost impossible to photograph in focus (without the right lens). Will see what happens but not hoping foranything other than a denial or an apology at best.

At this point there's really nothing they can do about it other than offer you a discount on a new, non-x-metal pair. I'd just hang on to them and send my work to the x-man in the future...

I'm keen to use x-man's services but the additional postage to and from Japan make that a more expensive proposition that local Oakley. But after this, I'll need to think again. Wonder if there are any local repair freelancers people...

I'm keen to use x-man's services but the additional postage to and from Japan make that a more expensive proposition that local Oakley. But after this, I'll need to think again. Wonder if there are any local repair freelancers people...
Not knowing what exactly the postage is to ship to X-Man from you this is just a guess, but from both personal experience and what I've seen on this forum, X-Man tuneups last WAY longer than a factory tuneup. In the long run, the short term savings of using Oakley vs the X-Man may be a wash. Let's say the X-Man tune up lasts twice as long as the Oakley tuneup. If the cost of sending to X-Man is double or less the cost of Oakley, its a wash (with the added benefit of supporting a forum member who stands by/cares about his work). Just a thought!
On the subject of rubber, I couldn't be happier with the Red Linegear rubber I purchased :)

An Xman tune up lasts WAAAY longer than an Oakley tune up. I have the first pair that he ever tuned up - a pair of XX'S - and they still do not need retuning.
By contrast I sent a pair of XX's to Oakley for repair and they sent it back to me with the flex rubber installed backwards which skewed the fit badly.
Stuff happens when you repair this stuff and frankly Oakley doesn't have the skills, equipment or frankly interest (as you've experienced) to make things right if there is a slip
I know if the Xman marred an orbital or a flex coupler he would simply turn the marred piece and make it right. At Oakley though all they have is a press and if there is a slip (or if your glasses DISAPPEAR), we'll you're screwed. Best case they offer you 30% off a current production item that is not on restriction.
Or you can send them to a guy who cares about what he does...

"Option beyond Oakley, maybe even learn to do the simple things yourself"

I am pretty handy. I have my T6 and have changed lenses. Know I would really like to learn how to Tune Up the Flux Capacitor I mean Flex Couplers. Please advise.

Latest Posts

Back