• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Anyone Interested In Testing Some Aftermarket Lenses?

• Thread starter Username Hidden
  • Start date
U

Username Hidden

Originally I was going to PM @InfiniteHero and ask about this but I've seen others post similar things so I figured I'd put it out for the general forum to consider.

I've got 2 sets of Fuse lenses that I bought for my X-Metal XX. Neither set fits, and I've already been issued a refund by Fuse with no request to return them, so I'd like to have them tested by people with the proper equipment. I'd like to see the clarity test done that IH has done in the past, and if possible a replication of Oakley's laser test and even impact testing.

If this is something you have the equipment and time to do, please let me know so we can stop guessing at the quality of these lenses (fitment aside, grrr) and know how they compare to OEM.

Some people reacted to this post.
I moved this to the exchange area. If you are sending products to other members, it should be in the appropriate exchange area. It will get the same amount of exposure since most members see items in the newsfeed.

There has been a review done here:
http://www.oakleyforum.com/threads/fuse-lenses-review.35414/#post-396203

To qualify my thoughts about that review, I posted this comment elsewhere:

"It's a decent review and I believe it's honest but I wish he'd been able to do the refractive power and prism tests, too. Also, the tests IH had done were performed by a licensed optician; his appears to be a DIY job and I'm uncertain how accurately the test was reproduced. Then there's no explanation for why there's no noticeable difference between their house lenses and the ones they market as from Zeiss, which are sold at a price point that would be below cost (I find that fishy). Finally, there's the deal with them apparently pushing replacement lenses with a different base curve than OEM."

And here's a thread about the "Zeiss" lenses they're selling:
http://www.oakleyforum.com/threads/zeiss-polarized-lenses-on-ebay.35156/

Username Hidden said:
There has been a review done here:
http://www.oakleyforum.com/threads/fuse-lenses-review.35414/#post-396203

To qualify my thoughts about that review, I posted this comment elsewhere:

"It's a decent review and I believe it's honest but I wish he'd been able to do the refractive power and prism tests, too. Also, the tests IH had done were performed by a licensed optician; his appears to be a DIY job and I'm uncertain how accurately the test was reproduced. Then there's no explanation for why there's no noticeable difference between their house lenses and the ones they market as from Zeiss, which are sold at a price point that would be below cost (I find that fishy). Finally, there's the deal with them apparently pushing replacement lenses with a different base curve than OEM."

And here's a thread about the "Zeiss" lenses they're selling:
http://www.oakleyforum.com/threads/zeiss-polarized-lenses-on-ebay.35156/
To be honest. I wish we could have the test done by the guy @GH4AU had to test the custom cut lenses being sold on the forum a while ago. Would be the most unbiased opinion we could possibly get I think.

As far as the reproduction of the sight test is concerned. The lenses were fixed in the frames with the frame secured to the table with tabs and the projector fixed in the same spot as well. There was no variation in the projector distance from the lens. My issue is that I do not have a fixed focus or manual focus camera to capture the projected image. I'll see if I can borrow one.

I know who was used and just sent a message to let him know about the opportunity. But I don't know what all he has going on right now or if / when he'll be able to respond.

Username Hidden said:
I moved this to the exchange area. If you are sending products to other members, it should be in the appropriate exchange area. It will get the same amount of exposure since most members see items in the newsfeed.

Thanks for the move Boss. I didn't post it in exchange because I wasn't selling them, I was just gonna ship them to whoever wanted to test them.

Username Hidden said:
To be honest. I wish we could have the test done by the guy @GH4AU had to test the custom cut lenses being sold on the forum a while ago. Would be the most unbiased opinion we could possibly get I think.

As far as the reproduction of the sight test is concerned. The lenses were fixed in the frames with the frame secured to the table with tabs and the projector fixed in the same spot as well. There was no variation in the projector distance from the lens. My issue is that I do not have a fixed focus or manual focus camera to capture the projected image. I'll see if I can borrow one.

That's something I'd like to see done for sure. I'll say now that I won't be purchasing anything else from them, but if they made decent lenses that other people can use it'd be nice to see them checked out in more detail. They'll just sit in the boxes on my dresser until I throw them out or ship them to someone.

Back