• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Anyone know when 24K was changed to 23%

ucdavis4PT0gpa

I should Work at Oakley
Oceanside, Oregon
Everything on Oakley.com is stating that 24K Iridium is 23% light transmission- so at some point it was changed because as many know it once was 13%.

But my question is does anyone know when it changed? I have some custom cuts (from Big Tacos) for my PB1 that were done a couple years back and I those are definitely 13% so if I had to guess I'd say this change has been in the last couple years (especially considering o-review has just changed their database to reflect 23% in the last month or so if memory serves) although if it's only being instituted for new models or when it might have changed at what manufacturing dates for existing models it's impossible to know.

Very unfortunate either way going forward as this is among the finest lenses Oakley has ever made and it's essentially a useless product (at least for me) with that transmission rate- I'm blind at 17% and 14-16% is pushing it even when it's cloudy.

@ucdavis4PT0gpa Have you noticed a difference in the lens when looking through it? The reason I ask, is that it seems rather a coincidence that it has gone from 13 to 23%! The 2 is very close to 1 on the keyboard. Also it is weird that it has changed exactly 10%. Could this be a typo?

@ucdavis4PT0gpa Have you noticed a difference in the lens when looking through it? The reason I ask, is that it seems rather a coincidence that it has gone from 13 to 23%! The 2 is very close to 1 on the keyboard. Also it is weird that it has changed exactly 10%. Could this be a typo?

I have wondered EXACTLY the same thing. I really thought that when I noticed the classification was still for Bright Light - but then I saw 20% Sapphire is for Bright Light too so apparently Oakley thinks glasses I could drive at night while wearing are for bright light.

To answer your question about have I noticed a difference - I would say no BUT - again - if they HAVE changed it who's to say everything Ive tried isn't old stock/models still carrying 13%.

Help anyone! We need someone with both old and new 24K to let us know if there definitely is a difference between the light transmission. :D

Latest Posts

Back