• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Anyone Knows What Lenses They Use For X-Men Prop?

Eon

Oakley Beginner
hi again! do you guys know what brand, color of lenses they use in the movie X-Men? I want to buy 1 so i can protect my original oakley lenses :) and to make my juliet more cyclops lol! thanks guys!

PS
i have seen walleva, revant, and linegear... i think linegear is the most red 1.. but i saw 1 on google that says ruby quartz? and its like all red...

thanks guys!

I don't think the x-men lenses are for sale. If I can remember they had terrible optics and even gave the actor headaches. They had a special coating on the inside to make them more red.

Dont buy the ones off of Ebay from seller Rougetraderx He buys exovista for $39 and resells for $500 obo claiming they are the same as the movie prop. He blacks out the back of the lens to make the red pop out more in the pics. I just can't figure why people are so hung up on the prop lens? Not for nothing, I thought the gear Batman carried in the movies was cool too....... Buy the Linegear, or exovista and deal with the optics issues....

Dont buy the ones off of Ebay from seller Rougetraderx He buys exovista for $39 and resells for $500 obo claiming they are the same as the movie prop. He blacks out the back of the lens to make the red pop out more in the pics. I just can't figure why people are so hung up on the prop lens? Not for nothing, I thought the gear Batman carried in the movies was cool too....... Buy the Linegear, or exovista and deal with the optics issues....

thank you! I'll take note on that sir... i just wanted to preserve my original Oakley lenses since their more on purple hue...

I have got a pair offered on and off on ebay which seems to be closest to the prop.

The seller was selling for about $100 a pair and they come with a reflective back to make the red pop even more.

Gave me a terrible headache even wearing it for a minute lol.

Sitting in my display now. Will try to take a pic when I get home later.

The red is kinda darkish brown and consistent throughout the lens.

Schenk

I have got a pair offered on and off on ebay which seems to be closest to the prop.

The seller was selling for about $100 a pair and they come with a reflective back to make the red pop even more.

Gave me a terrible headache even wearing it for a minute lol.

Sitting in my display now. Will try to take a pic when I get home later.

The red is kinda darkish brown and consistent throughout the lens.

Schenk

ok sir I'll check out the pics... what brand are those lenses? because I'm looking for a good brand that will just look closely to the prop. or if that prop has a brand...

Hey there! I'm new to the forum but I thought I might offer some insight. One way to tell the actual all red mirror prop lenses from the Extrovista lenses or any of the others lenses that claim to be identical to the prop is that the original lenses made for the movie had the Silver Mirror on the inside. That, and a Red tint that instead of the traditional Blue or Gray that the lenses normally have when you look through them. The Silver mirror on the inside of the lenses reflects the dyed color of the lenses back to the surface as opposed to Oakley's Ruby or the others, which is an actual colored mirror coating itself applied to the surface. Of course there's one more additional thing I like to do to mine to give them even more Red but I don't think any of the ones sold online really do it aside from myself. And since a friend and I haven't done a run of these for a long time I can't really see any to compare. Here's two photo's of a set of lenses I made using the same techniques as the prop lenses. Obviously these aren't as practical as they're uncomfortable to look through all day and make stop lights disappear. But being a prop replica collector they're good enough to sit in a display case lol. Another reason being that these lenses are plastic and not Polycarbonate. You might ask why I'd use plastic instead, and the reason is that the tint doesn't absorb in Polycarbonate quite the same as it does for plastic. Anyway, that's just my two cents I thought I'd throw that out there to celebrate the new X-Men movie!

DSC02289_zps8034c541.jpg

RubyQuartzOakleys_zps8f06fd96.jpg

Hey there! I'm new to the forum but I thought I might offer some insight. One way to tell the actual all red mirror prop lenses from the Extrovista lenses or any of the others lenses that claim to be identical to the prop is that the original lenses made for the movie had the Silver Mirror on the inside. That, and a Red tint that instead of the traditional Blue or Gray that the lenses normally have when you look through them. The Silver mirror on the inside of the lenses reflects the dyed color of the lenses back to the surface as opposed to Oakley's Ruby or the others, which is an actual colored mirror coating itself applied to the surface. Of course there's one more additional thing I like to do to mine to give them even more Red but I don't think any of the ones sold online really do it aside from myself. And since a friend and I haven't done a run of these for a long time I can't really see any to compare. Here's two photo's of a set of lenses I made using the same techniques as the prop lenses. Obviously these aren't as practical as they're uncomfortable to look through all day and make stop lights disappear. But being a prop replica collector they're good enough to sit in a display case lol. Another reason being that these lenses are plastic and not Polycarbonate. You might ask why I'd use plastic instead, and the reason is that the tint doesn't absorb in Polycarbonate quite the same as it does for plastic. Anyway, that's just my two cents I thought I'd throw that out there to celebrate the new X-Men movie!

damn nice!

Latest Posts

Back