• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Anyone Remove The Arms And Attach Straps To The Frame?

rubicon

Oakley Beginner
I've got a pair of Half Jackets. The arms are a little too thick to get a good seal with earmuffs. Thinking about removing the arms and rigging up a headstrap that attaches to the frame. Anyone do something like this?

I'm wondering if the lenses would sit at the correct angle if the frame was secured by a strap as opposed to the original arms.

Yeah they might steam up. You'd want an interface like the Wind Jackets, especially because the orbitals against your eye socket will probably hurt at some point.

I personally wanted to machine some arms since I have access to mills and lathes at my school. Lathe the ends to a preferred diameter, machine and chamfer the rest. It'd likely be thicker/heavier than desired, though. Surely can't add an O logo. Meh.

Good point about how close this would place the lens to my eyes and the resulting steam effect. I guess I'll pass on this.

Ventruck, if you end up machining some arms, let me know, I might buy some from you!

I shoot all the time and wear my half jackets. If you sit the ear stems slightly higher on your head and not right on top of your ears, you can get the ear protection to seat and the half jackets to fit comfortably and not be crushed against your head. At least that is my experience. The only problem I have with half jackets when shooting is fogging up. Also you could go with in ear plugs and not worry about the standard ear protection / muffs and the glasses getting in the way. Just a suggestion. I actually use both in ear and standard muff style hearing protection when shooting rifles, as I want to keep my hearing for as long as I can.

I shoot all the time and wear my half jackets. If you sit the ear stems slightly higher on your head and not right on top of your ears, you can get the ear protection to seat and the half jackets to fit comfortably and not be crushed against your head. At least that is my experience.
I just tried it and it does seem to seal better. I'll have to give this a go at the range. Thanks!

The other thing I'm going to do is remove the temple sleeves when I'm shooting to make those arms a bit thinner.

IThe only problem I have with half jackets when shooting is fogging up. Also you could go with in ear plugs and not worry about the standard ear protection / muffs and the glasses getting in the way. Just a suggestion. I actually use both in ear and standard muff style hearing protection when shooting rifles, as I want to keep my hearing for as long as I can.
Yeah, I double up on ear pro when shooting indoors or shooting rifle. But it would be nice to wear just the muffs when I'm shooting rimfire outdoors. I think between your suggestion and removing the temple sleeves, I may be able to do just that.

Back