• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Anyone tried to tune Badman hinges?

I don't know how I didn't think of that when they came out. With all the talk of neXtmetal or fauxmetal or whatever, there it was, Sadman the whole time. With the hype like a fresh rookie running back in the nfl, that's exactly what i was, Sad, man. Good work lol

I don't know how I didn't think of that when they came out. With all the talk of neXtmetal or fauxmetal or whatever, there it was, Sadman the whole time. With the hype like a fresh rookie running back in the nfl, that's exactly what i was, Sad, man. Good work lol
We had a whole naming scheme going on around that time. Sad man was one of the names that ended up being mentioned. Maybe search for the thread? It was pretty funny. ;)

Yes, the hinges are removable. However you can't DIY tune up those hinges without first disassembling those hinges which is not advised unless you have patience like a zen master and possess the skills of using big tools on small objects akin to a watch maker. There's substantial risks involved that:
A) you could lose the hinge installation screw
B) lose the spring into another dimension of warp space fabric
C) break the hinge altogether, or
D) a combination of the above and in which case you're screwed because I'm down to 1 spare hinge

But if you do wish to endeavour, you'll need remove the hinge, disassemble it, alter the spring tension, remake the hinge, and then reinstall them.

A hacky method without disassembling the hinge itself would probably require adding foreign objects to the spring hinge mechanism to create extra resistance. I've not tried this and it's only a theory.

If you want to alter the opening angle of the arm then you'll need to modify the hinge ring shape as the stoppers would dictate the angle of open before the springs activate.

Good luck and hopefully your operation on BadMan won't result into a SadMan

Any updates here?! I'm taking my new pair to the shop tomorrow to do the opposite. I actually like the loose forgiving spring hinge. Might left temple hinge however is extremely tight for some reason. Brand new, so it isn't dirty. The hinges both open and close fine, however when over extending it backward into the "sprung open" position the left hinge is very tight, feels like it could break. Anyone know if just loosening the hinge screw helps? Lastly is it going to be a T-6? I'll be hopefully posting a HappyMan Update tomorrow!

Latest Posts

Back