• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Anyone With Apple Cs Experience?

hollygrove

Oakley Beginner
Hey people. My 3 yr old son has just tripped over holding my iPad, landed on it and cracked the screen :(. The iPad itself works fine, touch screen etc all ok it's just badly cracked. I've been told a replacement is up to £360!! As the iPad 2 is a complete unit so the screen cannot simply be replaced. I've also read that people have been given a replacement free of charge as a good will gesture from apple stores but apparently this is at store discretion...I was just curious if anyone has been in a similar situation? How much did you pay? Free replacement? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance ( please no1 telling how much of an idiot I am for letting my 3yr old play with it in the first place) lol

This actually happened with my Mom's iPad 1. She dropped it while she was cooking (used it as a recipe guide I guess) and the screen got cracked. However, the touch screen wouldn't work where it got cracked. She took it in and coincidentally, we JUST bought my Macbook Pro about 2 weeks before that and she went to talk to the same salesman. They ended up giving her a discounted iPad 2. I'm not actually sure how much she was discounted, but they were really nice about it apparently. I know this isn't much help, but I would go and talk to them. Play the sympathy card haha. Do they offer warranties with the iPad? Some girl spilled a beer on my Macbook in college and I was able to get it replaced through Applecare.

Warranty doesn't cover accidental damage.lol..their sneaky bastards ain't they...from what you've said and from what I'm reading from other posts on the net, it seems like its just a case of luck. Think I might make an appointment with one of the "geniuses" at an apple store and give them a sob story. Hope I get lucky n get a nice sympathetic guy.lol. I don't mind paying for the damage, not at all but I ain't payin 360, that's madness, I'd be reluctant to pay over 100 tbh, especially as I reckon the iPad 3 is gonna drop around June. Cheers for the response man.

Try checking eBay for spare digitizers and screens, and youtube for walk throughs on how to DIY. You could also google replacements parts. Do a little research on the net and you'll be amazed at the things you'll be able to do yourself. Saves a ton of time and money.

After all is said and done.....Invest in the new otterbox defender case for the ipad.... Yes it makes it a little thicker, but its worth it in the end

I looked at the DIY option but it voids warranty obviously...think im gonna try my luck at an apple store, see what they say. If they want a loads money I'll just claim on house insurance, still 250 excess like. I'm deffos gonna invest in a protective case aswell. Kicking myself for not doing it in the first place

Yeah, any DIY will void the warranty. My 3yr old daughter plays with our iPad all the time and navigates it better than Grandpa and Grandma :rolleyes:. Isn't it amazing what they can absorb at such a young age! Btw, since your unfortunate incident, I maybe looking into an otterbox also. Good luck!

Yeah, any DIY will void the warranty. My 3yr old daughter plays with our iPad all the time and navigates it better than Grandpa and Grandma :rolleyes:. Isn't it amazing what they can absorb at such a young age! Btw, since your unfortunate incident, I maybe looking into an otterbox also. Good luck!

It's so weird that you said that..my son is amazing with the iPad, both me and my girlfriend have one and he navigates it so well.. He goes to the app store n looks for games he might like then asks us to buy them, he loves jetpack joyride and sonic racing and he's awesome at both..much better than his mother.lol. I think it's a lot to do with what your brought up on, iPads are designed to be as easy to use as possible so it isn't really much of a stretch for a child to get to grips with it quite easily..I remember my dad getting a Sega mega drive when I was little and i kicked ass on it, you learn quicker as a child aswell. It's just a shame that kids are clumsy as ****.lol. I daren't imagine whats gonna be about when my son is my age

It's so weird that you said that..my son is amazing with the iPad, both me and my girlfriend have one and he navigates it so well.. He goes to the app store n looks for games he might like then asks us to buy them, he loves jetpack joyride and sonic racing and he's awesome at both..much better than his mother.lol. I think it's a lot to do with what your brought up on, iPads are designed to be as easy to use as possible so it isn't really much of a stretch for a child to get to grips with it quite easily..I remember my dad getting a Sega mega drive when I was little and i kicked ass on it, you learn quicker as a child aswell. It's just a shame that kids are clumsy as ****.lol. I daren't imagine whats gonna be about when my son is my age

So true, so true! My daughter amazes me all the time, and I'm sure it's a "normal" thing for kids her age, but the things she does or says sometimes is...amazing, LOL. She just started preschool a few months ago, and within a few weeks she already knew the names and faces of each of her classmates (I think there's 18-19 total kids). Now she can identify them by written name (without a photo)...I'm sure she's not actually reading the names, but rather recognizing the shapes of the letters and somehow matching them up with what's in her memory. Huh, I guess that is reading, hahaha! Simply amazing!

When we let her use the iPad, she's allowed to play learning games or intellectual games which suit her age. Once in a while we'll allow her some free play (coloring, story books, etc.). She's also bilingual, so she plays with Japanese iPad games also. I hope I'm still here to see what technology my grandchildren will have to play and learn with.

Latest Posts

Back