• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Anyone with Flak's with a grey smoke frame?

hstexan

Oakley Beginner
MS
Just when I think I know which ones I want next, I see something else that changes my mind. I've gone back and forth between the USSI matte black Flak's with grey polarized lenses or a custom order matte black with black iridium polarized lenses. So far the only difference I can tell is the USSI don't say Oakley on the nose bridge, and I'm essentially forced into paying for a "free" soft vault if I do a custom order. Well then I was clicking around and I see the grey smoke frames. That's something I can say I don't see a lot of (at least I think) out in the wild.

Are the grey smoke frames a matte color or are they more polished? I tried to do some searches and found one user who had a grey smoke frame, but never seemed to post a picture. I found one picture that is a little bit grainy and not the best angle that makes them look very flat which I would love, but the custom store makes them look somewhat polished (though the Oakley website also makes the matte frames look polished). I tried some googling, but it seems the Flak's are somewhat unique in the fact they don't have a whole lot of frame exposed since the ear socks and icon plastic covers a lot. A lot of the other frames in grey smoke look extremely transparent, but the Flak's seem to look much darker since there isn't as much area for light to pass through.

Anyone with a pair think they could post a picture? Maybe a normal light and low light version? If they are as dark as I hope and flat they might be winners. Unique semi-transparent look in bright light and almost a matte black finish in lower light.

Picture I found which makes them look flat:

Last edited by a moderator:
They were matte.... I have 2 I am hanging on to there are crystal grey smoke available now ...they are on the site for OCP , I believe.

Are they supposed to be called "crystal grey smoke"? I only see "grey smoke" ones...kinda crappy of them to keep the same name, but change the looks.

Man...now I'm really confused about what I should do. I do like the grey smoke because I can't say I've ever seen a pair, but I really am not a fan of the reflective colors. Have you seen the new ones in person? How shiny do they look and how transparent are they?

new ones are like crystal black when wearing them look pretty dark...almost same as black...See Twentys on Vault right now

Hmmm...I think I might just do the USSI matte black's then and hold out hope that I can find a used pair of the old style grey smoke's...thanks for the help!

Random thought actually...do you know around when they made the switch? The Vault stores are usually old stock, right? Would there be a slim chance I could track down one of those older matte frames at a vault store?

I had the same dilemma as you. I had the si version but didn't like that the nose bridge didn't say oakley. I ended up paying full price for the custom matte black version directly from the website. IMO, the SI frame wasn't as heavy as the civilian frame. I have the gray smoke frame. The Grey smoke frame looks black when worn. It doesn't show scratches and is the lightest of the three (weight). Its not too shiny and is the perfect blend between the two. It's my favorite. FYI, The SI site just listed a matte black with black polar lenses.
20140425_190422.jpg

Back